Race conditions: APP_DIN_NotifyToggle and co

jimi_diller

Hi,

What happens if:

1) I push a button so APP_DIN_NotifyToggle gets called

2) I quickly push a button again, before the previous APP_DIN_NotifyToggle was finished?

Could I possibly see some problems with race conditions? Or can I trust that APP_DIN_NotifyToggle is run with no pre-emption??

I'm guessing the former would make the most sense. I'm also seeing some bugs which I suspect might be attributed to race conditions, but that might also be due to shared data between APP_Background and the notify hooks, now that I think of it...

Thank you! Jimi

Hi,

MIOS32_SRIO will set a "changed" flag whenever a DIN pin has toggled during a scan.

Even if the pin is toggled back to the original value, APP_DIN_NotifyToggle will still be called, but with the current value.

In other words: it won't be called twice.

If any edge is for interest, then you've to use the APP_SRIO_ServiceFinish() hook and detect pin changes from there (see also the various $MIOS32_PATH/modules/blm* examples) - but this is an interrupt. Time consuming operations (e.g. MIDI output) shouldn't be done from there. You would need to implement a queue mechanism if any pin change is really for interest.

I'm also seeing some bugs which I suspect might be attributed to race conditions

If you would describe your use case a little bit further, I could give you more concrete help how to solve the issues in your application...

Best Regards, Thorsten.