Proper Red-on-black Display, or DIY one?

Kickflip

So I've been looking for the right LCD for my MB6582, and settled on wanting red-on-black. Unfortunately, these seem to be fairly expensive and hard to find in the UK! Had a bit of a brainwave though, could I just get one of these white-on-blue displays, and tint it with some red acetate, or would it not look quite right? I'm wondering if the blue would appear black, or if it'd end up closer to purple - which could look quite funky in itself...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-display-module-20x4-character-white-text-on-blue-background-/321385054708

Yeah, it could go either way! It may also be a case of choosing how many layers to use - one might just give the text a tint and leave it bright while making the background browny/purply, and more might make the background closer to black but the text harder to read.

I'll give it a try and report back anyway. Reporting back may take months though - my current project list is huge and my bank account doesn't yet want to stump up for the PCBs, panel and misc sundries, but if it comes out nicely it'll help other people out on here.

Regarding compatibility, I *thought* I'd checked, but I've gone through so many different tabs and websites that they all blend into each other, and the description doesn't show HD47780 anywhere, so I guess I missed it. The dimensions match and the circuit board looks like the standard type, but I'll have a dig around to check the compatibility.