Seq V4L force-to-scale and MIDI forwarding

borfo

Is it possible to set the V4L up so that it takes incoming midi on all channels, applies force-to-scale to all channels, then forwards all channels onwards on the channel each note was originally received on, with the force-to-scale applied?

Since I've built a Seq V4, I'm not using my V4L much anymore, but it would be great to put it at the end of my midi chain as a force-to-scale device (I've got some randomizers and other note-processing things chained in after my seq v4)...  Unfortunately, it seems the V4L only forwards notes on the midi channels selected for the two sequences, and drops all other notes.  Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere that could do what I'm looking to do?

Yes, there is a hidden feature in MBSEQ V4L which allows you to enable force-to-scale for the In->Out option! :)

Connect to MIOS Studio, open the MIOS32 File browser, edit the SESSIONS/DEF_V4L/MBSEQ_C.V4 file.

Search for "LiveForceToScale" and set it to 1

Thereafter save the change, and then enter "reset" in MIOS Terminal in order to reboot the device.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hm...  I didn't see the LiveForceToScale parameter in SESSIONS/DEF_V4L/MBSEQ_C.V4, so I added it at the end of the file.  I'm not sure if it's having any effect.

Now, the V4L seems to receive MIDI on channels 1-4 (doesn't seem to receive or forward notes on channels above 4), forces the notes to scale, then outputs all the notes on whatever the channel of the currently selected Sequence - eg: MIDI keyboard sends on Ch 3, Seq1 is selected, MidiCH for Seq1 is set to Ch. 9.  All midi notes received from the keyboard on Ch 3 are forced to scale, but they are sent out of the V4L on Ch. 9.

What I would like to do is have the V4L receive MIDI on all 16 channels, force all the notes to scale, then output the notes on the channel they were originally received on.  eg: MIDI note is received on Ch. 11, it is forced to scale, then sent out on Ch. 11.  Another note is received on Ch. 4, it is forced to scale, then sent out on Ch. 4.  Etc.  Is that possible?

Ok, understood.

I spend some time in order to make this possible - the configuration isn't straightforward, but I hope that this will meet your expectations:

1. upload this firmware to the core: http://www.ucapps.de/mios32/midibox_seq_v4l_085_pre1.zip
  2. enter the "store" command after upload. This will ensure that the latest parameters are visible in the file (that's the reason why LiveForceToScale wasn't visible previously - last time you stored this file was with a version which didn't provide this parameter)
  3. edit the MBSEQ_C.V4 file:
    Change MIDI_BUS_Channel 0 ... to MIDI_BUS_Channel 0 17
    (bus will listen to all channels)
    Change the MIDI channel of MIDI_BUS_Channel 1 ... and MIDI_BUS_Channel 2 and MIDI_BUS_Channel 3 ... to 0
    (bus won't listen to channels)
    Change LiveKeepChannel to 1

Parameters should be taken over automatically once you save the file

(terminal will show "AUTOLOAD 'MBSEQ_C.V4'")

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Wow.  That's great - it works perfectly.  Thanks so much for making that happen.  I've been looking for a device to do that for ages - the MI Midipal comes close, but only listens on one channel.  This will make a lot of really cool stuff possible for me - thanks!

Edited by borfo

Wow...  You can use the humanizer, echo, and LFO on incoming MIDI on the two channels that Seq1 and Seq2 are set to - and LFO and echo can be enabled/disabled by starting and stopping the V4L playback.    This is awesome.  Thanks again.

Edit:  beer.

Edited by borfo