what kind of solderig iron are you using?

Guest dustyny1

Guest dustyny1

Looking to purchase a soldering iron for doing a MidiBox 64 project. What should I look for? Watts? Tip size(s) what kind of solder? Best place to buy (is radioshack good?)

Thanks

Dusty

Hi Dusty,

a good question! I guess that you are searching for a soldering iron which is available in the US, therefore your question has to be answered by somebody who lives there.

Here some global recommendations: if you only plan to build a small number of circuits and probably won't continue with hardware tinkering in the future, then just visit the next DIY or electronic shop and buy the cheapest soldering iron you can find (should cost about 5-10 EUR). Power: 30W maximum - not more if no temperature regulation is provided! Tip size: ca. 0.8-1.5 mm2. Solder: 0.5mm2 with "integrated" flux. Don't use additional flux, especially when soldering on analog circuits (SID module).

If you are searching for a long-live solution, then take care for branded goods. Only this guarantees that you will be able to buy replacement parts in the future. The two big german brands are "Ersa" and "Weller". I used a second-hand Weller product for many years which is about 30 years old in the meantime, and I'm still able to get new tips and heating rods. Unfortunately this iron doesn't provide a temperature regulation which is useful for SMD and desoldering, so I bought a Ersa soldering station ("Analog 60") which should suffice until my retirement (in 35 years or so... ;-) )

Here two suggestions especially for the guys in Europe who order the parts at Reichelt (they don't offer utra-cheap irons, but only quality products):

"ERSA Multitip-C15 / 15 W" (Multitip_910BN, 18.35 EUR)

No temperature regulation, so desoldering could be difficult; its not only usable for common parts, but also for SMD (for SMD buy the additional tip "162 BN")

Solder: "lötzinn_0,5mm" for 3,85 EUR - industrial quality, 250g is enough for ca. 5-10 full stuffed MIDIbox LCs ;-)

For highest demands: search for Ersa or Weller soldering stations, but note that they cost about 100 EUR and more! (however, could be a nice christmas present)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

FAQMARKER

i have a 15 watt grounded one from radio shack, seems to work good. got a small point tipon it and using the thinnest solder i could find(seems to melt easier. be carefull with a 40 watt iron, iv'e burnt up some components leaving it on them for too long.(good for desoldering though)

i also saw this today, looks like a decent iron, it's a weller so you can always get tips, and has four wattage selections. nice for someone not needing digitally controlled tip temp, but wanting some control over it.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=372-120&DID=7&orefer=esf112503-372-120

I use a Weller EC1002 soldering station and I highly recommend it.  I think I paid close to $200 about 10 years ago, but you should be able to find one for under $100 if you look around.  Like TK said, if you just want to build a few projects, go for a cheap Radio Shack 15 watt iron.  But if you plan on continuing this hobby, a quality iron makes a world of difference.  

I went through a few of the cheap Radio Shack irons when I first started, but since I talked myself into spending the money on a decent one, I can't imagine going back.  My Weller station has an adjustable temperature, replaceable tips (many different sizes), burn-resistant cord, and it heats up in about a minute or so.  Not to mention that it's 10 years old and still looks brand new.  

A quality iron makes soldering SO MUCH easier.  For anyone who's been struggling with a cheap iron, just go ahead and spend the dough - you won't regret it...

A quality iron makes soldering SO MUCH easier.
Amen brother!  ;)

I have a 3 year old tip on my 8 or so year old Weller station, and it still works like a dream.  It has it's own flight case for when I do shows!

I do a lot of soldering, and this iron has held up like none other I have used.  

Have fun!

Smash

If you plan on doing a lot of small parts soldering  (like the midibox stuff) I would recommend a weller wp35 soldering iron with st7 1/32" conical tip.  For solder I like to use kester organic core solder.  With this solder you have to stop every hour or so and wash the board with water and a brush until it stops foaming.  Don't worry this won't hurt the components, as long as you wait until the board is dry to power up.  You should solder trimpots and all connections that are panel mounted like pots, encoders, and switches with regular solder.  It might sound like a lot of trouble, but the results are well worth it.  The finished board will look clean, professional and will be free of flux.

Jameco electronics sells everything mentioned:

Weller WP35 Part#192102 $39.95

Weller ST7 tip Part#146624 $5.95

Kester organic solder Part# 151474 $13.95

You can pick up the regular solder at Radioshack for less than $5.