Mixing SID types in one unit

raisinbag

Hi I am a beewbie here. I have acquired a pcb set and 4 SIDs (6581)s and reading through piles of documentation. Wow!!!!!! Soooo as I gather all the parts I need and plan out this build I am thinking about having two cores be filled with 6581's and the other two with 6582 (or the 8580 other steves the equiventl one is called). Since the 81's need 12v and the 82's need 9v I was wondering if it possible to do this. It is an easy "placement of proper components into certain spots" or would i have to cut some traces and supply the 82's from a perfboard regulator kinda thjng and kludge the crap out if the board. OR IS IT JUST A STUPID IDEA ALL TOGETHER!?!?!

Thanks.

How you'd acomplish this, depends on what you mean by "pcb set". But it's possible anyway.

If you got the Mb6582 baseboard (all sids/4cores on one pcb) you provide both voltages via psu and then select which one to use for each sid by placing a jumper.

If you got discrete PCBs (2Sids per board) then you need to stuff the fitting regulator. Keep each board to one kind of SIDs.

Wicked! Thanks lmp! I have the large base board that has all cores on it. I have been reading through documentation but havnt seen or missed the part about usin jumpers to choose what the rail voltage is for each individule sid core. That's great news!!!! I'll go and try to find instruction in the build doc. I had seen information about what jumpers to use I the section discussing power supply options (a or b etc...) but hadn't seen any mention of using different voltages to individule cores. Cheers, mr. baggins

Wicked! Thanks lmp! I have the large base board that has all cores on it. I have been reading through documentation but havnt seen or missed the part about usin jumpers to choose what the rail voltage is for each individule sid core. That's great news!!!! I'll go and try to find instruction in the build doc. I had seen information about what jumpers to use I the section discussing power supply options (a or b etc...) but hadn't seen any mention of using different voltages to individule cores. Cheers, mr. baggins

Hi,

Power supply option B is a right option for two different type of the sids.

regards,

Janis

Cool so basicaly I install both a 9v Reg and a 12V reg in appropriate spots, then solder a header in the appropriate are for each core (were there is a space for a 3 pin header and the center pin powers chip and either side is a 9v or 12v on silkscreen) and use a jumper thinngy to choose proper rail voltage for each core!?!?!?  This is cool becasue I can always move chips around to different cores in future!!!!!  Thanks so much, excited this will start soon!