Testing A TPD during construction - Any Tips?

Rowan

Hi,

Can anyone offer me advice on testing one of illimimators TDP PCBs while I'm assembling it?

This is my first try at soldering SMD components so I'm vary aware that It's likely I've botched the soldering of the SO-16 parts.

I've used a very fine tip for my iron, 0.5mm 60/40 solder and flux.

I'm at the stage now where I have soldered all the Shift registers and I don't want to go any further until I'm 100% sure all the connections are sound. I have inspected all the joints with a magnifying glass and everything looks alright.

Any tips from someone who has successfully assembled this PCB would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rowan

I succesfully assembled this PCB, in the end. I made the stupid mistake to solder most of the shiftregisters the wrong way. I started OK, did a double check etc. but half way I went wrong and noticed it to late. I just desoldered them using a blow tourch?! and put them back the right way. This was more difficult because the surface wasn't flat anymore, but it worked. Not the first time of coarse, one little pcb trace was damaged, so when I attached my TPD it did strange. But after beeb-testing the pcb traces of al shift reisters I found the bad trace, repaired it and then it worked!

So my only usefull tip is beeptesting your work with a multimeter to check your connections!

Succes!

Roel

• Like 1