Accelerometers/Tilt Sensors

Wilba

Analog Devices (http://www.analog.com) make accelerometers in a small chip package. I came across these when they were used in a tilt sensor for a Palm handheld. I thought they might be interesting as a MIDIbox sensor (and I wanted to make a Palm tilt dongle as well) so I ordered some samples of the ADXL202E from Analog Devices and got some experimenter PCBs made (since the chip is a tiny 8-pin LCC package).

The PCB order contained FAR MORE PCBs than I need.

Thus I am planning to give them away to any experimenters out there who are interested in integrating a tilt/movement sensor concept into their MIDIbox. In theory, you could make it sense movement like a Theremin... or the angle of tilt of your hand, or head, or whatever... there are many possibilities.

The experimenter PCBs are 1 inch square, there are pads for the chip and surrounding that is an array of donut pads/holes just like your standard experimenter board.

So if you're an experimenter and are interested in getting some of these PCBs:

• Go to http://www.analog.com/
  • Check out the data sheet for the ADXL202E. I'm planning to use the analog output instead of the DCM output.
  • Post to this thread to reserve your 3x PCBs
  • Order some samples: 2x ADXL202JE (commercial) and 2x ADXL202AE (industrial) - these are identical except for temperature range, I believe. Consider the ADXL210E, which has an increased range (+/-10g instead of +/-2g), but I don't know if it will work as well for tilt.
  • Send me one of the ADXL202 samples
  • I'll send you 3x PCBs and pay for postage.

Sending me a sample chip is fair compensation for me paying the postage of the PCBs. I would like a couple more chips to play with and I'll give the rest to some local friends.

I have 7 groups of 3x PCBs, plus 3x PCBs reserved for Thorsten Klose.

PLEASE NOTE: I only just got these PCBs and sample chips and haven't tried out accelerometers at all. I don't know how good this idea is, or if it will turn out to be a useful and incredibly cool control method or just a novelty. Don't expect an instant "air mouse" - there's still some coding to massage the raw data into useful MIDI state.

If there's some success to this whole idea, maybe at some point in the future uCApps will host an "official" PCB design which non-experimenters can buy/build. So if you're interested in the idea but aren't an "experimenter", hold off getting these experimenter boards until a proof-of-concept prototype has been achieved.

Regards,

Wilba

• 2 years later...

Sorry for refloating, but I have some ideas...

I'm sure some people from here know about Wii, the new super-innovative (and obscure in specs) videogame device from Nintendo, mostly because of the controller. The controller has full spatial X Y Z detection, so it seems very interesting for a lot of uses like gaming, simulating real objects interaction and a lot more.

Nintendo used gyroscopes and technology from Analog Devices for their revolutionary controller, and this kind of device can have *A LOT* interesting uses in the music world.

Because the controller will probably be bluetooth 2.0, with a few of reverse engineering it will can be used for non-Wii purposes. Think of controlling a MIDIBOX with the Wii-controller in a matter of hyper-theremin in steroids, converting MIDIBOX on a real-time device for orchestal purposes or a great interface for creating weird and creative stuff, easier usage. Imagine controlling MIDI stuff in a like a orchest director, like a theremin user and an infinite number of possibilities!

Because Wii stuff will be mass produced, those Wii controllers will probably be very cheap. I consider this very accesible for most users and I'm sure there are cheap  bluetooth 2.0 stuff for use on DIY projects ;)

Wii is still not released, but I think is something to consider for the future. What do you think, guys? ;)

Don't you think Bluetooth (wireless) is going to give delay, that is not acceptable in music (and/or gaming)?

It would be very cool to have a controller to make your music, that gives you an alternative instrument, that should be developed. But this would take some time I guess  :P

Maybe is not exactly bluetooth, but some low-latency derivated. The device is the most precise thing I seen, it seems to be done with some kind of black magic by Nintendo, too good to be true. I didn't see latency on the presentations, it runs perfect!!!  :o

I'm sure the Wii controller will be reverse engineered and electronic geeks over the world will use it for their DIY projects!!! ;)

Nintendo used gyroscopes and technology from Analog Devices for their revolutionary controller, and this kind of device can have *A LOT* interesting uses in the music world.

I disagree. If there really was a lot of interest in the music world, there would be more people playing theremins or using theremin-to-MIDI controllers, which have been around for ages.

My focus now has shifted to ribbon controllers instead, for the simple reason that for music, at least, some tactile feedback is better than none... ever tried actually playing a theremin?

You missunderstandme completely!

I just only said is one of the possible uses, I mean the wii controller can emulate a theremin-like thing. The possibilities of the wii controller are nearly infinite, please look videos about wii music..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_Music

http://media.wii.ign.com/media/827/827335/vids_1.html

It can even simulating drums and there was a demostration by proffesional musicians. The wii controller is really very impressive!

So you could use it as a theremin style controller, which as wilba mentioned is already available and not widely used, you could try to copy an onscreen condunctor with them (sounds like conducting karaoke hehehe) and you could use them as drumsticks/percussion mallets (Which again are already available and not very widely used when compared with keyboards)... What else though?

Hey wilba I never noticed this thread, did this get off the ground? I wouldn't mind a pair of Air-drum-sticks ;) Would go well with e-drums

This really sounds like every crackpot flop Nentendo ever came up with, all rolled into one machine. Pay particular attention to the fact that for the controller to work, you have to have a sensor bar wrapped around the TV. It says so in the Wiki. Sounds like the power glove doesn't it?

Also, for REAL gaming (and by that, I am just refering to the multitudes of games that dont require oddball or specialized controllers) this thing is all but useless. Its going BACKWARDS in gaming controllers. Turn it on its side? so you have a D pad on the left, and a couple of buttons on the right...  what? so the only ANALOG input is if you lean the controller?  And whats with the left hand controller being called a nunchuck?

Heres the thing.. I love Nentendo.. they always push the boundries.. WAY over... They have the cash to do something totally revolutionary, and watch it flop. (Power Glove, Virtual Boy, that silly robot that came with first gen NES.. DS is in some ways barely hangin on. Its been months since I have seen a commercial for it).

This is all well and good for hacker types though. They will push it on the market and flood production. But with a controller like that, it is very likely to flop big.  End result? Hackers get a fun toy cheap. (eventually).