Random sounds on the SID

pay_c

Problem:

I'm getting random sound changes in my 4xSID. Meaning: E.g. random transposes, volume drops, changing osc (to noise or so), broken notes and so on and so on. It's even so far that I can do "random editing" by switching back to one patch over and over and never getting the same result.

Anyone had that problem? Shielding?? Shield what???

I'm getting no random MIDI events (MIDI LEDs dont light up).

Sound's awesome, but those random events are ruining it all.  :-/ :'(

First you should check if this is a software configuration or a hardware problem.

Just upload the MIDIO128 application, or MB64E (there is a special preconfigured binary for MBSID hardware called "setup_midibox_sid.syx"). Do they send any random MIDI events?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

No idea, but it makes always sense to use the most current version of MIOS. It just takes 5 seconds to update the OS, so why not trying? ;-)

I'm not sure, but so far as I know MBSID V1.5b uses some hooks which were not available in MIOS V1.3

Best Regards, Thorsten.

OK, here the latest:

No (not one!) random MIDI messages with either MB64E and SID1.5b. Everything fine there!

I uploaded MIOS 1.4 on the main core. It *seems* to run correct now (I just tested it short time). Big long time test comes tonight (if the SID 1 works fine and the others dont, I know whats up).

How the heck that (if...) ?? ?? ??

Earlier I also improved the shielding a bit (shielded all DINs/DOUTs and the CS from the rest), but that didn't change to much.

So, I'll have a look again tonight...

/edit: Why not uploading MIOS 1.4 on all Slaves, too? Cause I dont have the optocouplers stuffed there and so I'll have to put all those chips out and program them seperately...  ;D   lazy me...

Doesn't the link function come up after MIOS booted (so after I'm able to play in a new version of MIOS)?

Doesn't matter to much, here the updates:

- Shielded even more, the SID modules are now WRAPPED in grounded alu-paper (Seperating *completely* all DIN/DOUT/MIDI signals from SID/analog signals)

- Uploaded MIOS 1.4 on all PICs

ARGH!!! Still the same prob (a *lttle* improvement perhaps)! On all 4 SIDs!! I just dont get it! After some time the SID is set to one patch it completely changes it!

Maybe I should build it up on a board again, just to be able to check everything (that stuff is really compact now!!).

AAAAARRRRGH!!! Can't believe I'm finished and I'm not finished at the same time...