jjonas

Maximum number of syxdump positions?

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

I trying to pick parameter values from a sysex dump that's over 1000 bytes long (a DSI Tetra combo edit buffer dump), is that too much for syxdump_pos? It's not possible to request a smaller slice. Requesting and receiving 439 bytes (normal mode edit buffer dump) seems to work ok, but with the <1000 dump I'm getting strange results at least from byte 137 onwards for some reason. Parameters values that should be in bytes one after the other are not; it appears as if some bytes are missing in between.

For the moment I'd just like to determine whether or not it's a syxdump_pos limitation that might be causing the behaviour.

Hi,

syxdump pos goes up to 12bit (=4096 bytes)

But you've to be careful with CPU load - than more events are listening to SysEx streams, than higher the chance to get input buffer overflows, which would lead to some missing bytes (as you noticed).

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I uncommented all RECEIVERs and SENDERs except for one RECEIVER that receives the dump. My setup is such that the dump from the synth goes through a SEQv4 (v4+.095) before reaching the NG. If I bypass the SEQv4+ and put the dump directly into the NG, there doesn't seem to be dropped bytes, but if the dump goes through SEQv4+, some bytes (somewhere after the 1000 bytes mark) would seem to drop. The router on the relevant ports on the SEQv4+ is all channels in, all channels out (not sure if that affects sysex).

Is it expected that routing the dump through the SEQv4+ could cause problems? The seq's info page shows CPU load 15% during the dump and no registered drops.

UPDATE: I noticed today (13.2.) that even though I get the dump directly into the NG (and with only one receiver event) some bytes are jumping around between requests. So it might not have anything to do with SEQv4. I tried sending a 4000 byte test file from the computer to NG, that seemed to work ok, maybe I'll have to try different midi cables...

UPDATE2: I tried 4 different midi cables, no difference. The next thing to try is to dump the data on the computer and diff the files to see if it's the synth that's sending inconsistent dumps.

Edited by jjonas