Where to get components at carboot sale prices...

Artesia

Hi,

Something people here might not be aware of, is that these guys into Amateur Radio & their Clubs run what is known as Amateur Radio Rallys all over the uk (and the rest of the 'planet' at that). Which are essentially somthing like a electronics fanatics carboot sale; with the stuff typically on tables/stalls in a large hall in a community or sports centre, though one run at Dreyton manor every year completely fills a field outdoors & several marquee tents.

So what can you get there ?

Well, just about anything you could imagine, though the size & locality of the various venues can affect the variety of stuff that turns up. Stuff you can expect to see at some right bargin prices are: surplus components at a couple of quid for a kilo bag, boxes of switches, variable resistors, leds, transformers, lasers, hookup wire, for a 50th of new price. ...older second hand oscilliscopes, multimeters & other test equipment for next to nothing. then there's all the radio rigs and such (which may not intrest most of you, though intresting enough to look at though). Another notable regular at these shows, is ex equipment sealed lead acid batterys in very good nick (search for yuasa on www.maplin.com) ...at a fraction of their new price.

..Oh and if you're lucky ...might see a old commodore there, which you can nick a SID out of ! ;) One thing you can be sure of, is you will save a bundle going to afew of these shows.

So who are Radio Amateurs ?

People who have a intrest in buillding & running their own 'radio stations'. Whereby they -talk- to people all over the world in a 'msn messenger' sort of fashion. ..they are often the sorts who work in telecommunications industry, for 'the signals' & RAF. They can sometimes be abit geeky (no more so than those into computers though) ..generally though, they are nice people.

If you would like to know more about Amateur Radio, then please goto: www.RSGB.org

Where can i find Amateur Radio Rallys ?

One good source for the uk i know of is: http://www.pwpublishing.ltd.uk/

At this time unfortunatly the website is undergoing a redesign, so you may not be able to access that section. The number of rallys listed was sparce, however more are likely to appear as the spring rolls on.. As, the site is updated & i find more sources for radio rally listings, i shall add them.

How much does it cost to get into a Rally ?

Typically no more than £2.50 ...sometimes free. ...oh and the petrol or fare to get there :) Also espcially if travelling far, it might be a good idea to ring up and check the rally i going ahead on the day.

Can i take stuff to sell at a Rally ?

Yes indeed, They often have 'bring and buy' stalls which will host your items for a small fee ..and will sell them for you on your behalf.. Also you can book a whole stall for a small fee (need to ring up organisers in advance), however its a good idea to attend at least one rally to get a feel for what goes on before trying to sell your old washer there ;)

• 4 years later...