Very simple idea, how to do it? MIDI Beat Monitor

Guest matty73

Guest matty73

Hello experts out there, I would like to develop a device which I can use in my nu-jazz improvization collective. Since I am not an expert I would like to ask you if you know whether such a device already exists or if you can give me some clue, references, starting point, ... where I can find information about it.

The idea is extremely simple. We use an Akai MPC1000 sampler for our central rhythm that sends Midi Time Code (MTC). We want to use this code to display:

- the beat number: 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,...

- the bar number: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,... (4 beats = 1 bar)

- the module number: 1,2,3,...,99 (8 bars = 1 module)

The display would be: 88:8:8 (module#:bar#:beat#). In nu-jazz, improvizations follow an 8-bar structure (=1 module), so that's why we need the module#. Invited guest musicians can then base their improvizations on this information. So, the only midi parameter that we need to come in is beat number. The rest is a simple calculation of the beat number (bar#=counter of 4 beat groups; module#=counter of 8 bar groups). We would then like to display it on a large display. Could you please give me a starting point (where to begin)?

Thanks a lot!

Matty

Guest matty73

Thanks for your response. The MIDImon is indeed a good starting point, but the main challenge will be to extract beat information. I am pretty sure an Akai MPC1000 sends midi clock. It is a very recent device and in essence it's a sequencer. Anyway, I'll check it. All suggestions are welcome.

Guest matty73

The Akai MPC1000 sends MIDI clock. Now, I have to find out how to use this clock to program a controller.

Another option: The MIDImon apparently has BPM, so if you multiply the minutes of the MTC with the BPM you have beat numbers, right?

Hi,

sorry, maybe the info wasn't detailed enough: the MIDImon already provides the function for which you are looking for. It can interpret the SysEx message which contains the song position and it counts the beat/bar/module numbers correctly. These counters are displayed at the LED digit display as well as on the LCD. The LCD can be left out if not required.

See also http://www.ucapps.de/midimon/midimon_disp_mc.jpg

(yes, the picture doesn't really make this clear ;-) )

the BPM will be derived from the MIDI clock, but it's not possible to derive the BPM from MTC

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Guest matty73

Very interesting. So, as soon as the MIDI monitor reveives MIDI clock instead of MTC, the display (I don't need LCD) shows beats, bars and modules?

Beats and bars I believe yes, but also modules in the sense of 1 module = 8 bars?

Do I only have to install 4 leds then?

88:8:8 (module#:bar#:beat#)

Can I optionally display the BPM too (e.g. in different colour)?

Seems that I am on the right track.

Thanks a lot!

but also modules in the sense of 1 module = 8 bars?

with a slight modification in mon_clk.inc you can also add a third counter for the modules.

Can I optionally display the BPM too (e.g. in different colour)?

in mon_clk.inc you can also assign the counter digits to the LED digits

Best Regards, Thorsten.