A question about headers

Guest jimminy

Guest jimminy

The most problematic part of this project so far has been, suprisingly, trying to make the IDC connectors for the headers, and connecting the pins!  What is the trick?  Is there a special tool?  I got the hardware from futurlec and I'm using the tape type cables like you find in computers, so the wires are pretty thin, is this a problem?  They just won't hold unless I solder them, and stuffing them into the plastic connector is tricky because, unless I do the crimping perfectly, they won't seat all the way in.  Then, when I try to put them on the headers, for some reason, some of them won't slide on, they just push the pins back out of the connector!  errrr!

hey...

If ur using crimps and those headers u need a crimping tool - these can be pretty pricey. I picked mine up from reichelt which was fairly priced...

However, tinning the header pins and wires and then soldering the 2 together with just the heat of the iron gives a clean and tight connection! :) crimps, connectors, tools etc all mount up money wise...!

Dan

I have been having good luck scavenging ones out of computers. i even made a 2x4 one for connecting core and sid by simply cutting a larger one and wrapping it with some electrical tape to keep it together.(they don't seem to make that exact  connector in a size smaller than 2x5) Kinda ghetto i guess, but it works, and i can disconnect my modules, and it was free!!

Heheh, I once crimped a 50-pin SCSI header with my teeth.  They say the jaw is the strongest muscle in the human body.  Worked too :-)

I need some advice on connectors for another project I'm working on.  It's not a MIDIbox, but I figure this is a good place to ask.

I need to find an edge connector for slotting an exisiting PCB into.  Sort of like a RAM slot - the edge of the PCB has 8 exposed tracks on one side of a little sticky-outy bit, on 0.1" spacing, and I want something I can mount to another PCB or protoboard and slot this PCB into it.  I've looked through the catalogue for my favourite parts house, but I can't find anything suitable.  I'm not even sure what you call this kind of connector. Can anyone help?

You might try these as an alternative to a true edge connector,http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=displayproduct&lstdispproductid=231665&e_categoryid=45&e_pcodeid=51727 (not really what you asked for, but it might work better with so few contacts)

Also see:

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?&handler=data.listcategory&Ntt=*58730652010*&Dk=1&terms=587-306-52-010&D=587-306-52-010&N=0&crc=true

These will probably need a larger than normal hole in the pcb for the pins.  You should get them with mounting flanges, so you can bolt through the flanges and board to keep insert/remove strain off of the pins.

Have fun!

Smash