beginner questions... midibox seq as drum control?

kiira

Hi!

I would like to do a midibox project but I am a total pic/midi  beginner - though I build tube and discrete studio electronics.

I am wondering... would the midibox sequencer be usable as a drum step sequencer for controlling my two Roland R8-M modules? I love the X0X controller type interfaces like on my (now broken :-( tr707 and I hate software sequencers like Cakewalk. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any drum sequencers  made like that... maybe the MAM SQ16? I would rather make my own and learn something new though :-) Some of the projects you guys have done are just beautiful!

Oh ... what would be a better project for a beginner.... a sidbox (I have four 64s I can get PS and SIDs from) or a midibox? Same? I am also a little confised about how the midibox is programmed after building to control a DAW or a synth... is this doen in the PIC programming and then burned into the eprom?

thanks,

Kiira

http://www.2tough.com/~kiira/rec - my OLD studio

Yeah, this is quite possible, although (!) the Seq is more for melodies and so on (to change the drum you would have to put every single note in there by hand - not quite to ergonomic). What you are searching for is a pure Drumseq. Perhaps the MBSeq will support that someday but I would NOT the heck bet on that one ...

(TK: the rest of the message has been unintentionally removed :-( )

See tutorial #1

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq_tutorial1.html

By using the ALL button you can set the Note value for all steps at the same time, thereafter you can mute/unmute the steps with the GP buttons like known from a drum sequencer.  

You are also able to select another drum sample by using the track transpose function w/o changing the steps.

So, I don't see the need for additional drum support - it already works

Best Regards, Thorsten.

::)

Doesn´t matter.

Just in a short form the rest of the stuff:

For starting the MBSeq is cool, because you got only digital signals and so no probs with grounding stuff and so on.

The SID is a *little* harder, but still easily rebuildable also for a newbie. But there you got many analog signals and so much stuff to ground & shield (you should know what to shield and what not). But the cool thing about the SID is that you can start with the minimal Setup called Step A (just one SID controlled via MIDI) and build it up later to a full featured Step C with Control Surface.

So ... ... just build both babies and be happy!  ;D ;D

Greetz!

Cool, thanks guys. I'm kinda unclear about sequencing with the MBSeq and still kind of a beginner at midi anyway... I'm pretty much a plug in my guitar and step on a few pedals kinda girl. :-) I would REALLY love a hardware controller for Samplitude so I might consider building a regular MB64 first. or maybe a simple MB16 built into my beloved ESQ1... that would be kinda cool to have right there on the panel of the ESQ.  Later, I'll make use of these for C64s.

ciao!

Kiira