SID noise floor...

piku

Hi!!! I'm Massimiliano from italy

I would like to build a Midibox Sid, complete with the control panel and 4 sid chips... but i'm not an expert in electronics (and not even in speaking english   :-/ )

My first great passion is electronic music (kraftwerk, depeche mode...) and i really love the c64 sounds!!!

in fact i have already buyed an elektron Sid-station.

Well, i discovered this site only some days ago... and i was enthusiast !!! I think i'm gonna sell my monophonic Sid-station and build a super-Sid-sinth by myself...

The first and more important question regards sound quality: as all you now the sid chip is naturally noisy;

in fact a gate\expander is needed for serious playing with a sidstation.

Is the same noise floor problem present in the thorsten Klose projects????????

If yes,

i would like to build a "mega-box" in wich a multigate (one for each sid audio out) is incuded. Do you think that a thing like this is a madness sign? 8)

And, where can i find a minimal circuit (to buil with vectorboards) for a gate that only "stops" the sound when it  gets down under the Threshold?

(i imagine that a decay control  would be necessary... it could be fixed to a precise state, good for sid sound... and a swithc to deactivate the gate circuit could be positioned on an extended front panel)

Thanks  ;)

Welcome on board!

The SID project isn´t to bad for a newbie, as you can work through the steps (first get Step A running - only one SID via MIDI control, Step B and then finally Step C with the full Control Surface).

The noise floor isn´t to bad. It´s like (depends on the sound youre playing) -70 dB to -50 dB (veeery depends on 6581 or 8580 used, the quality of your shielding, the used PSU (TKs recycle PSU works veeeery well!!!) and so on).

And: Sometimes it´s even cool. Brings in some analog touch!

If you really want to build a multigate check this site (very good site about analog effects):

http://www.tonepad.com

or better here (same site): http://www.tonepad.com/projects.asp?projectType=fx

Greetz & have fun!

The SID bug is present, you can hear the oscilators in the background when no notes are played. as for noise, well, I am not really working a a setup of high enough quality to judge that, but i hear the noise floor is lower with the 8580 SID than the 6581.(I think it is the 6581 in the sidstations). I was already thinking about an internal gate, so maybe it is not madness ( though it is quite possible I too am mad ;)  ). I havent got around to looking for a gate circuit though, if you find something, let me know by posting it here! I am stuck on the cs, I tried to make my own panel, using Thorstens layout, but my metal working skills are terrible and not having the best tools for the job doesn't help. It is all mis aligned and the straight cuts are wavy..... nothing is fitting right the first time...I keep trying though, and maybe one day I can afford those nice schaffer panels. You may want to hold on to that Sidstation till you get finished your MB SID. besides it is discontinued, so i would think the demand for a secondhand unit would only go up, which is good for you.