A single board for the Midibox sid...

piku

Is it possible to create a single board containing all the principal components (din douts and 4 core, 4 sid)?

would greater problems of interference and noise be presented?

How the problems of excessive heating and interference can be resolved?

Thanks

Hey!

It is quite possible, also this is QUITE an amount of work to put in. Suggestion: Just copy&paste the existing PCBs together and make them on a single PCB (or two or three or whatever). Then you can also put the wires there directly. Much less work.

There will be some interference/noise problem for sure! You would have to surround all audio lines with GND lines to make it better. Also much work. Bringing them out just with cables is better in this case, cause you can use shielded ones.

Heating would be absolutely no problem, as long as you use TK´s PSU recycle. Nearly the whole heat is then made in the PSU. If you don´t use it just use some heatsinks. btw: nearly the only heat made in those boxes is from the 78xx ICs. The 6581 ICs are also getting a little hot, but that´s normal & not bad.

*IF* you want to make one single PCB for the SID, be invited. But it´s kinda work I can tell you...  :)

Greetz!

If you look inside a c64... you will notice that the metal cover of the board presents three little "tongues" (i don't know the word in english) that are in contact with che prinicipal processors and even with the sid chip.

This is clearly an expedient to "refresh" the chips. So, i think that a security measure (like the metal cover) is necessary for a long life midibox sid! 8)

Yepp, I also used that stuff. You really can use that well! But it won´t help if e.g. an unshielded audio line is right next to a e.g. MIDI Out line or DOUT line going to a LED (big interference there) on your PCB.