What do I program into PIC?

Guest Thomas_Holley

Guest Thomas_Holley

I have the JDM up and running. My question is what exactly do I put in the PIC. Is it the bootstrap loader? Is it MIOS? Is it the SID v1.6? Is all of them?

Thanks,

Thomas

Guest Thomas_Holley

Can I just use the JDM to program all necessary data into the PIC at the beginning? If I only do the bootstrap loader and nothing else, it assemes all will work when power is applied. Mine will surely have bugs to troubleshoot. So, If all those program elements are required, should I program them all with my JDM at first? Is there a specific order to program them?

I tried doing one PIC with all the programs. I opened bootstral hex file first and loaded it. Then MIOS hex file and loaded that. Lastly the SID hex file and put that in. When I read the PIC afterward it looked to me like it only had the SID (last loaded) data in it.

Thomas

dont kno if you can burn all with the JDM, would have thought it would overwrite. do it via midi it helps with the trouble shooting and it is real easy

when sending via midi: Mios must be sent within two secs of the request. The app can be sent whenever you like after that  ;)

Guest Thomas_Holley

OK, it looks like I need to tahe my 4 PIC's and reburn the bootstrap loader into them. Then, if I ever work the bugs out, I can load MIOS with a MIDI connection.

For me it just seem simple to do it all the programming at once for the initial set up then update with MIDI but I guess I can't do that.

Now my next question is how do I program MIOS into all the PIC's? Is it one at a time or all at once. Sorry for the simplistic questions but the tutorial just isn't clear to me.

Thanks for the help.

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

could it be that you haven't found the MIOS bootstrap loader page yet? It describes the required steps for the code upload:

http://www.ucapps.de/mios_bootstrap.html

It's simpler and less error-prone than using the JDM - and especially: it's much faster! Therefore this is the only way I'm suggesting on my website - everything else would lead to an immense amount of additional support effort.

Once you've learned how to program a single MIOS core via MIDI, you will be able to program the other cores within 5 minutes - believe me ;-) Therefore I don't understand why parallel programming would be required (btw.: it works, but only with expert knowledge)

For the SID application you want to assign unique MIOS device IDs as well as unique SID device IDs to the 4 cores.

See also

http://www.midibox.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=troubleshooting;action=display;num=1075154388;start=4#4

And if the MIDI connection shoudln't work, here another useful page:

http://www.ucapps.de/howto_debug_midi.html

Best Regards, Thorsten.