PIC18F452 for free!

Guest analouge

Guest analouge

Hi folks!

TK said in one post or has written somewhere in the site that there roumers that you can get this PIC from Microship as a free sample...

Please - if anybody needs this chip - and you do!! - please don't buy them at the electronic shop, order them there, coz really is true... You get them for free.

I'm building a quadro MBSID, and I just got my PICs. 10 days shipping time - free of charge - right into the mailbox!

The hatch is - you can't order more than 3 PICs at once... but hey - no problem - just place two orders !! :D

There is still one more hatch after the first one - you can only place two sample-orders a month. I kinda made a misstake when ordering, coz I need the bankstick IC too, and I forgot to order it with the second order of the PIC, so now I gotta wait 20 days before I can order it. And yes! - That chip is also free sample at http://www.microchip.com

They want to know what you are going to use the sampled parts for - I just wrote: "Synthesizer Product based on SID chip" - simple. And you gotta have a company name - but if you don't got ur own company - no worries - coz then you can just make up a name - I did - and it worked just fine - just get the adress right!

Cheers - and happy soldering!

Guest analouge

Hi folks!

TK said in one post or has written somewhere in the site that there roumers that you can get this PIC from Microship as a free sample...

Please - if anybody needs this chip - and you do!! - please don't buy them at the electronic shop, order them there, coz really is true... You get them for free.

I'm building a quadro MBSID, and I just got my PICs. 10 days shipping time - free of charge - right into the mailbox!

The hatch is - you can't order more than 3 PICs at once... but hey - no problem - just place two orders !! :D

There is still one more hatch after the first one - you can only place two sample-orders a month. I kinda made a misstake when ordering, coz I need the bankstick IC too, and I forgot to order it with the second order of the PIC, so now I gotta wait 20 days before I can order it. And yes! - That chip is also free sample at http://www.microchip.com

They want to know what you are going to use the sampled parts for - I just wrote: "Synthesizer Product based on SID chip" - simple. And you gotta have a company name - but if you don't got ur own company - no worries - coz then you can just make up a name - I did - and it worked just fine - just get the adress right!

Cheers - and happy soldering!

Guest mattcarus

Please don't take advantage of Microchip - they offer samples to aid designers in choosing which chip is right for their product, not to give away to hobbyists.

By all means, order a few from them, but if we all start ordering hundreds of them, then they will stop the samples service altogether.

Happy MidiBoxing!

Matt

Guest mattcarus

Please don't take advantage of Microchip - they offer samples to aid designers in choosing which chip is right for their product, not to give away to hobbyists.

By all means, order a few from them, but if we all start ordering hundreds of them, then they will stop the samples service altogether.

Happy MidiBoxing!

Matt

Guest analouge

Hey! Of course I don't want to take advantage of them! That would be wrong.

I just think it's a nice opertunity for people like me to use those kind of sampling oportunities. Of course I could have paid for it, but why do so? when I can get it for free... But I won't abuse this fine service from Microship. After all - I ordered 4 pics... it doens't hurt them in one single way.

In fact I'm probably gonna buy every chip I need from Microship for my projects (If they have it) - because of the fast shipments and how they treat every costumer very professionally! I found out that Microship is a VERY nice company to deal with!

So no abusing! That's not what I meant! But there's nothing wrong with recieving some free samples though!

Sorry if anybody missunderstood me... I tend to get all excited and write things a little bit wrong sometimes... sorry :)

Cheers!

Guest analouge

I just think it's a nice opertunity for people like me to use those kind of sampling oportunities. Of course I could have paid for it, but why do so? when I can get it for free... But I won't abuse this fine service from Microship. After all - I ordered 4 pics... it doens't hurt them in one single way.

In fact I'm probably gonna buy every chip I need from Microship for my projects (If they have it) - because of the fast shipments and how they treat every costumer very professionally! I found out that Microship is a VERY nice company to deal with!

So no abusing! That's not what I meant! But there's nothing wrong with recieving some free samples though!

Sorry if anybody missunderstood me... I tend to get all excited and write things a little bit wrong sometimes... sorry :)

Cheers!

The real reason why they make it possible, and dont protest is the competition they're getting from Atmel these days. They want to encourrage people to use PICs... giving a bunch away over all is promotion to them. If Atmel was not as strong, they'd impose strict limits to their sample program. I'm not saying this out of thin air either... My buddy who has been dealing with them for the past 10 years is well placed to understand how they work. He's the one that told me Atmel was eating up their market share.

Marc

Cheers!

The real reason why they make it possible, and dont protest is the competition they're getting from Atmel these days. They want to encourrage people to use PICs... giving a bunch away over all is promotion to them. If Atmel was not as strong, they'd impose strict limits to their sample program. I'm not saying this out of thin air either... My buddy who has been dealing with them for the past 10 years is well placed to understand how they work. He's the one that told me Atmel was eating up their market share.

Marc

Cheers!

Guest analouge

Hey. I haven't attended the english classes for 5 years. I was really good at english back then... I'm good at speaking english though... ;). Had an Aussie as best mate for a year while he was in Norway... ;) Then I was just forced to speak english... A little bit shy in the beginning, but by the end of the year I was thinking in english while being with him... strange...

I hope you all understand what I'm writing - even though some errors may occur... :P. I have to say - I've seen worse spelling in this forum than what I write :P.

I just wanted to say one more time - I fully support the people who don't like that companies like microship is being abused... And it's not my intention to do that.

Still - I don't think that it is the hobbyists that is ruining their market... Of course I can't possible imagine the correct numbers in this example but it shows a little bit how I'm thinking:

Say 4000 sample PICs was shipped out all over the world to different types of electronic geeks. Some more professional than others. I don't know how much it costs to produce a PIC18F452, but It isn't that much I guess. So that wouldn't cost Microship a whole lot of money...

When the professional designers find out that the PIC is nice stuff, they order more of them for their product. Maybe. 5000 each - and that is indeed good for Microship. Say half of the people who sampled a PIC is one of those pro designers... then Microship just sold 10 000 000 PICs. The remaining 2000 hobbyists are very pleased with Microship and buy maybe 5 pics each the next year together with other microship products... that is 10 000 PICs + additional orders... Then 4000 PICs is a small price for microship to pay... As I said these numbers are a product of my imagiation - but it illustrates how I'm thinking.

But then there's people who contacts them JUST to use them and get free samples. I know I seemed like that kind of person when I started this thread, but I do NOT support that kind of stuff! I use the system the way it is supposed to be used. Sample - then buy. So don't take me wrong here.... :)

Cheer up!

Ingebret.

Guest analouge

Hey. I haven't attended the english classes for 5 years. I was really good at english back then... I'm good at speaking english though... ;). Had an Aussie as best mate for a year while he was in Norway... ;) Then I was just forced to speak english... A little bit shy in the beginning, but by the end of the year I was thinking in english while being with him... strange...

I hope you all understand what I'm writing - even though some errors may occur... :P. I have to say - I've seen worse spelling in this forum than what I write :P.

I just wanted to say one more time - I fully support the people who don't like that companies like microship is being abused... And it's not my intention to do that.

Still - I don't think that it is the hobbyists that is ruining their market... Of course I can't possible imagine the correct numbers in this example but it shows a little bit how I'm thinking:

Say 4000 sample PICs was shipped out all over the world to different types of electronic geeks. Some more professional than others. I don't know how much it costs to produce a PIC18F452, but It isn't that much I guess. So that wouldn't cost Microship a whole lot of money...

When the professional designers find out that the PIC is nice stuff, they order more of them for their product. Maybe. 5000 each - and that is indeed good for Microship. Say half of the people who sampled a PIC is one of those pro designers... then Microship just sold 10 000 000 PICs. The remaining 2000 hobbyists are very pleased with Microship and buy maybe 5 pics each the next year together with other microship products... that is 10 000 PICs + additional orders... Then 4000 PICs is a small price for microship to pay... As I said these numbers are a product of my imagiation - but it illustrates how I'm thinking.

But then there's people who contacts them JUST to use them and get free samples. I know I seemed like that kind of person when I started this thread, but I do NOT support that kind of stuff! I use the system the way it is supposed to be used. Sample - then buy. So don't take me wrong here.... :)

Cheer up!

Ingebret.

• 3 weeks later...

which is the right pic to order? Some has 44 leads and others 40... I can't realise what's the meaning of the letters after the model name.. Are them only parts name or different versions of pic?:

PIC18F452-I/L

PIC18F452-I/ML

PIC18F452-I/P

PIC18F452-I/PT    

PIC18F452T-I/L  

PIC18LF452-I/L

PIC18LF452-I/ML

PIC18LF452-I/P

PIC18LF452-I/PT

PIC18LF452T-I/L  

PIC18LF452T-I/PT

Thanks for help!

which is the right pic to order? Some has 44 leads and others 40... I can't realise what's the meaning of the letters after the model name.. Are them only parts name or different versions of pic?:

PIC18F452-I/L

PIC18F452-I/ML

PIC18F452-I/P

PIC18F452-I/PT    

PIC18F452T-I/L  

PIC18LF452-I/L

PIC18LF452-I/ML

PIC18LF452-I/P

PIC18LF452-I/PT

PIC18LF452T-I/L  

PIC18LF452T-I/PT

Thanks for help!

Guest analouge

Someone shoot me if I'm wrong...

I don't know what the letters in the end really means, but here's what I know:

If you go to microship's site (link on the CORE-page) you go to the sample area - then click PIC Microcontrollers in "product line", then find PIC18F452 in the "Device Family" dropdown box.

You will then get a list of the PICs available in the 18F452 family.

You will need to have the ones with 40 pins. And there is only 2 of those, and both have the I/P in the end. In other words - you need the PIC18F452 I/P. You can also use the PIC18LF542 I/P.

I think I remember reading once - Im not sure - that the "L" just lets you know that it is a low voltage version... This I cannot confirm, but you CAN use both of them without any problems.

Do not use the 44 pinned ones...

Well - I think the info here is right, but as a beginner to electronics I really cannot be 100% sure - but I know you can use both PIC18F452 I/P and PIC18LF452 I/P.

Good luck! :)

Guest analouge

Someone shoot me if I'm wrong...

I don't know what the letters in the end really means, but here's what I know:

If you go to microship's site (link on the CORE-page) you go to the sample area - then click PIC Microcontrollers in "product line", then find PIC18F452 in the "Device Family" dropdown box.

You will then get a list of the PICs available in the 18F452 family.

You will need to have the ones with 40 pins. And there is only 2 of those, and both have the I/P in the end. In other words - you need the PIC18F452 I/P. You can also use the PIC18LF542 I/P.

I think I remember reading once - Im not sure - that the "L" just lets you know that it is a low voltage version... This I cannot confirm, but you CAN use both of them without any problems.

Do not use the 44 pinned ones...

Well - I think the info here is right, but as a beginner to electronics I really cannot be 100% sure - but I know you can use both PIC18F452 I/P and PIC18LF452 I/P.

Good luck! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, but this is not correct. The LF is just the Low-Power Version. PIC18F and PIC18LF will work fine for Midibox. Some of my ML-303 Prototypes are running with PIC18LF since months without problems. So if you order samples you can get 3x F and 2x LF so you get 5 working PICs - for free.

Sorry, but this is not correct. The LF is just the Low-Power Version. PIC18F and PIC18LF will work fine for Midibox. Some of my ML-303 Prototypes are running with PIC18LF since months without problems. So if you order samples you can get 3x F and 2x LF so you get 5 working PICs - for free.