help please

kris

hi

ive made one of the old midibox 64's which has done very well for a couple of years

now im in the process of making a new box for traktor with jog shuttles etc..

but i dont think i fully understand the new operating system

how many buttons do i need to control the box and whats the best lcd ?

ive bought 16by 2's but now im thinking maybe i should have got larger ones

i dont fully understand rotary encoders either i would like to use them for the jog shuttle are they availble with spring returns

if someone can point me in the right direction i would appreciate it

ps. my old box is in the gallery as B NATURALS an old handle

If you base your new MidiBox on the new MidiBox64, or MidiBox64E, Thorsten recommends:

How many Buttons should I use?

At least 8 buttons for the menu navigation and for the 4 most important special functions (see MIDIbox64E Tutorial)

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox64e_tutorial_en.html

As far as the best LCD, that is pretty much up to you. I would recommend at least a 20x2 or perhaps a 24x2, but you can use any size with MIOS.

I really don't understand your question about spring returns on encoders - do you mean that the knob goes back to the center when you let go? I haven't seen any like that. An encoder is basically an "endless" potentiometer. The detented ones have a "click" when you turn them. They are used on a lot of modern electronics, like new synths, vcr's, car stereos and the like. I recommend you use all encoders if you can afford them. The good thing about encoders is that when you change what they control, the value won't "jump" to the previous value.

Justin

What you might try, is to build a core and one DIN module - hook up your 16x2, some buttons and an encoder or two and try it out. That way you can decide if you want encoders or pots, and what size lcd you want.

thanx very much justin

that helps alot i can carry on designing my box now

ive already got lots of potentiometers but i do want to check out encoders

with the spring return i do something that returns to the centre when you let it go like a cdj this i think i can get from either a vcr control or order new from pioneer or some one

ill order a  24by2 lcd

Ok, I think I know what you mean: If you turn to the left, it turns a little, and the values go down - to the right, the values go up. If you let go it stops in the center and nothing changes. Is this right? If so, this is not supported automatically by MIOS. It could be done, you would hook each side to a digital input and then you would have to write code to respond to it. I don't think it would be too tough to do, but I don't know. Good Luck with your project.

Justin