What hardware do I need?

Guest mattneighbour

Guest mattneighbour

Hey guys,

Great site and concept, just what I was looking for. I've spent the past week reading and trying to get my head around everything!  :o

Anyway, here's my question:

I want to build a system with 128 illuminated buttons, 8 motorised faders, 4 pots and 16 rotary encoders (hopefully with LED rings). This would be for a custom controller for Ableton Live. The thing I can't figure out is whether I'd need multiple cores to do this and how many of the different input modules each core can support. I'm a bit uncertain about how to program the firmware to do this too! I've come to the conclusion that it would be better to use MIOS rather than a more specific solution, is this right?

I have got a background (masters degree) in Electronic Engineering with some experience of PICs and assembler, so this sort of thing shouldn't be beyond me. I'd really appreciate being pointed in the right direction though, especially before I start spending my hard cash!

Many thanks,

Matt

Hi,

if your case the MIOS Modifications are surely not the problem...

The hardware limitations for one core is:

- max 8 Motorfader (and no further pots)

- max 4 x DINX4 Moduales (= 128 buttons) (or 64 encoder)

- max 4 x DOUT (=128 Leds without matrix)

In your case you need 2 Cores with the following components (example):

First Core:

1 x MF Module (8 Motorfaders)

4 x DINX4 (=128 Buttons)

4 x DOUTX4 (=128 LEDS for the illuminated buttons)

Second Core:

- opt. AIN for further Potis

- 1 x DINX4 (= 16 Encoder)

- 1 x DOUTX4 (=16 Ledrings) 16 lines kathodes and 11 lines anodes

Thats almost all !

DOC

Guest mattneighbour

Thanks,

Things are starting to come together in my head now. The main bit of my Ableton Live control surface would be the buttons, followed by the motorised faders. The rotary encoders are for controlling effects and are really a luxioury add-on, so I think I might take my first steps with MIDIbox and MIOS by building a single core supporting motorised faders and buttons  before getting into the realms of multiple core operation!

Although I have experience with PIC assembler from my degree course it was about 3-4 years ago and nothing as complex as an operating system. We made a 4-bit digital audio communications link over two weeks. I need to refresh my PIC programming skills and learn a whole lot more but I think I'm up to it. If there's any more info anyone could point me to then that'd be great. For example, can I do what I want with MIOS by pasting the appropriate pieces of code from the examples and applications, with appropriate customisation? It's great that there is a function list but some more information about program flow, function calls etc would be nice for those of us who aren't professional programmers. The examples are good but need describing outside of the code I think.

Well, I'll continue to try to get my head around this! If I can get just some non-illuminated buttons working to launch clips in Live I'll be very happy. Thanks to all concerned for MIDIbox and MIOS!!

Matt

Hi,

your on the right way !

It isn't very hard to change the code of the ready applications for your needs. I have no experience with PIC progragramming at all but I managed to build almost everything of the ucapps pages ...

It's a little bit hard to get started. But once you done a step you'll find it easier the next time.

The code is well documented in the sourcefiles and there are a lot of hints elsewehere and especially in the forum.

I suggest you build the modules for a small midibox and connect your buttons, leds, etc "on the fly" and start your application for a test.

Everything is modular so that you can reuse all compenents in further steps.

In this way you can build the code for your applikation based on a standard one. If you are more experienced you can add all the things you like !

In fact multiple cores aren't harder to do than single ones. The difference is just another ID and an alternative midi-connection (it's well documented).

I don't know abelton, but after reading your needs I see no problem with your ideas.

Oh. I forgot something .....

... the high risk of getting addicted .... 8) 8)

(Almost no time for something else anymore, no parties, no musik, no women .... but a lot of new friends and some f***ing good controllers !!)

.... so be warned !

DOC