Cheap LEDS with Mouser, and other panel parts

Guest wo

Hello everyone,

I got my order perfectly made on Farell, but when I discovered it was really EXPENSIVE and reserved to prefessional, I had to restart everything from scratch on mouser >:( Thanks to SmashTV anyway, I could order all the parts very easily in seconds.

I just have some parts missing.

2N3904 This part is discontinued on mouser, it's for the JBM module, so if someone have an idea for a replacement, it would be very kind to tell me about it.

And (as the topic says), I'm looking for cheap LED for the panel of my MIDIBox64E (with all those awesome ledrings :p). I found some on farnell which were around 0.19 euro each - but I'm a bit lost in the mouser catalog, and every LED I can find is around $1.2, which is very VERY expensive for something like 288 leds. (16 per ring, 16 rings, plus one for each of the 32 buttons)

I thought some different colors would be nice (like 2 white leds at the beginning of each ledrings, followed by 12 green leds, and followed by 2 red leds), and blue leds for the buttons.

I have doubt for the buttons. It seems that on the photos that they are pushbuttons that are on 0 state most of the time, and on 1 state when you push them. (which is kind of a keyboard)

I think the MIOS need that kind of buttons. But other buttons could be real 2 state buttons (which stay on 1-State once pushed, and come back on 0-State while re-pushed). Could someone give me some advice about it, I couldn't find lot of documentation about the choice of those parts in the making of a MIDIBox64E Box.

Thanks in advance

I just have some parts missing.

2N3904 This part is discontinued on mouser, it's for the JBM module, so if someone have an idea for a replacement, it would be very kind to tell me about it.

That's just 'bout any general purpose small power NPN transistor. Like 2N2222.. just watch out for different pinouts.

And for the leds I would say: eBay ;)

I have doubt for the buttons. It seems that on the photos that they are pushbuttons that are on 0 state most of the time, and on 1 state when you push them. (which is kind of a keyboard)

I think the MIOS need that kind of buttons. But other buttons could be real 2 state buttons (which stay on 1-State once pushed, and come back on 0-State while re-pushed). Could someone give me some advice about it, I couldn't find lot of documentation about the choice of those parts in the making of a

The buttons should be Momentary Normally Open. You don't want the kind that latch down. These can also be had pretty cheap on Ebay.

Good Luck, Justin

Hi wo!

Regarding LEDs and their prices:

Red, Green, Yellow leds should allways be cheap.

Blue and White leds are allways much more expensive (around 1euro).

As wo's ordering from mouser, so I think he's a yankee ;)

Yes, blue leds are more expensive than normal, but still.. eBay.de feat. http://www.realstyles.de/ 0,23 euro a piece for 5mm one.

Bye, Moebius

Indeed, I'm not a yankee. I'm just french. Point is that I have to build my midibox before july 10th. Well, I spent two days on farnell building my order, but just wasted precious time. So I picked mouser just because it was EASY and SIMPLE and FAST to order from there. And it's really cheap. I don't mind spending a bit more on shipping - even with this it won't be like farnell.

I found some LEDS that weren't as expensive as on mouser, but were around $0.2 piece. I took 100 green pieces, 100 white pieces, and 100 orange pieces. I hope it won't be very difficult to mount them correctly. Since I have a very short deadline, any order mistake would be double : a loss of money, and a big big big loss of time.