Newbie wanting to build MIDIbox SID

Guest GoDziLLa

Guest GoDziLLa

Hey everyone,

I am new to this stuff, just found this site the other day. I have always been interested in buying a Elektron SID Synth but as soon  i could afford one they get discontinued...damn. Oh well, glad i found this great project.

I want to build a MIDIbox SID with steps A, B, and C, like on the website. I do have knowledge of electronics like soldering, printing PCBs etc.

However, I don't really know how to approach this project. What do I need to build to end up with a MIDIbox SID with 4 SID modules, control surface etc. ? Really i just want something that will function like an outboard synth module that i can physically tweak with knobs and buttons instead of like a softsynth. If anybody could give me a few pointers such as the modules i need to build and how they all interact togeher etc. I would really appreciate it.

I know most of this is on the site, but i cant get my head around some of it.  

Thanks.

Hey welcome to the site.

To build the ultimate MidiBox Sid module, you need 4 core boards, 4 SID boards, 3 DIN boards (you only use one chip on the last board though), 2 DOUT boards and a Power supply (the original C64 PSU is best if you can get it). Of course you will need all the buttons, encoders, LEDs and an LCD.

The great thing about TK's project is that you can start small and then build up. I recommend you build the step A - 1 core board, 1 SID board and the PSU. Get it running  and play with it using the JSynthLib editor, and then get going on the Ultimate SID.  Good Luck!

Justin