Core Woes...

So, I have been playing around with my core unit, and its not responding to Midi at the moment. Here is a list of my experiences, maybe there is some little thing that I am missing, or need to do:

a) I am just trying to upload MIOS 1.6 onto my core, with just an LCD attatched - I see the boot-blocks, and the reg stays cool.  I have a pic with just the bootsrtap loaded, and it is spitting out some nonsensical midi messages - so I try my other PIC with Mios and boot already on there, and it spits out what I assume is the little song the SID plays when powered on.

b) I have tried to send MIOS to that PIC as well, but there is no response/change on the LCD

c) switiching back to the PIC with no mios, still spits out the garbage. I am fairly certain that this is a midi input issue, since I am getting at least something from the PICS output... but no upload request, just random midi stuff

so my question is, how easy is it to destroy the optocoupler? I am thinking that evidence is pointing toward that ic... and maybe I am getting the midi messages because mios partially loaded or something?

I have built one SID before, and it worked great for about 3 weeks, then died on me - I am thinking that I was bad to Commodore in another lifetime or something, or have a SID curse. However, I feel that the core is where I am having these troubles. (the other SID I built was no longer talking either, but I think it was the core because when I powered it on I did not hear the little tune anymore, and there was no midi response.) Thats why I decided to start fresh and do a neater job, and possibly, with a little luck get to step B, and have a stereo SID...

maybe the gurus can help me out and reverse the curse! - T

Time for a loopback test throught the CORE I/O,

From the MIDI debug page:

final check to ensure that all 4 MIDI ports are working: put the PIC out of the socket and loopback the MIDI IO ports at the Rx/Tx pins like demonstrated in mbhp_core_extract_io_loopback.gif. Send any SysEx dump by using the "Send/Receive SysEx" function of MIDI-Ox. The number of sent bytes must match with the number of received bytes.

This and the other tests on the MIDI debug page will let you know if your optocoupler is the problem....   ;)

Best!

SmashTV

looks like the opto is the prob, I did the opto test and the LED never lit regardless of ground cnx. So I guess I'll order up a bunch and keep workin it.  Still I would like to know how easy is it to destroy the optos? Should I wear my wrist strap when puting them into the socket?

The good news is that it appears that my korg interface is not blocking any of the sysex - but once again, we'll wait until I get the optos and I'll post the results.

Thanks - Tim