About SIL headers

SounDuke

I am *REALLY* not sure, what you mean, perhaps you can formulate in another way? (  ???  )

But if I get it right: It doesn´t matter whether there are pins or not, you can use whatever connector you want. The Jumper assignment (meaning Pin 1 goes to *whattheheck* and pin2 goes to ...) is compatible on both Core and DIN, so you can interconnect it directly with any cable.

( hope you meant that... ) Greetz!

I am *REALLY* not sure, what you mean, perhaps you can formulate in another way? (  ???  )

But if I get it right: It doesn´t matter whether there are pins or not, you can use whatever connector you want. The Jumper assignment (meaning Pin 1 goes to *whattheheck* and pin2 goes to ...) is compatible on both Core and DIN, so you can interconnect it directly with any cable.

( hope you meant that... ) Greetz!

The CORE board from Smash TV has 5 holes for a SIL connector J9 and the DIN board has provisions for a similar connector.  A simple straight across cable identical on both ends connects DIN to the CORE.  I imagine boards from Mike's are similar.  Also the layout on Thorsten's site.

The CORE board from Smash TV has 5 holes for a SIL connector J9 and the DIN board has provisions for a similar connector.  A simple straight across cable identical on both ends connects DIN to the CORE.  I imagine boards from Mike's are similar.  Also the layout on Thorsten's site.

Yes I'll try to be clearer:

In Italy (and everywhere I think) 2 kinds of connectors are available in the shops: one kind is surrounded by black plastic and have pin under it to be soldered on the board. Above them there are no pin, only a hole ; the same connectors are available with pin above (2nd kind).

Yes I'll try to be clearer:

In Italy (and everywhere I think) 2 kinds of connectors are available in the shops: one kind is surrounded by black plastic and have pin under it to be soldered on the board. Above them there are no pin, only a hole ; the same connectors are available with pin above (2nd kind).

I think the two connectors you are describing can be plugged together. They can be used to plug two boards together. Most people use the 2nd kind of connector (pins) on the CORE and DIN boards. You have to find a connector to go on your cable that mates with the pins. This is usually a crimp on terminal that is then snapped into a plastic housing. You can find this type of connector in scrap PC wiring harnesses I think. I'm lucky. The shop I go to has new connectors at a good price. ;D This picture shows the connector on the CORE board at the bottom toward the left:

mbhp_core.jpg

I think the two connectors you are describing can be plugged together. They can be used to plug two boards together. Most people use the 2nd kind of connector (pins) on the CORE and DIN boards. You have to find a connector to go on your cable that mates with the pins. This is usually a crimp on terminal that is then snapped into a plastic housing. You can find this type of connector in scrap PC wiring harnesses I think. I'm lucky. The shop I go to has new connectors at a good price. ;D This picture shows the connector on the CORE board at the bottom toward the left:

mbhp_core.jpg

Yes you're right, the pinned one can be inserted in the hole of the first kind of connector.

So every connector in the core has the pin on the upper side, to be soldered with the wire. J4 too right? Well I soldered the first kind in my core, Do you think it's bad simply to apply the pinned ones in the holes of the first-kind connector or I need to desolder every port and re-solder the 2nd-kind connectors? Thanks for the help.

One last thing: The so called "printstecker" connectors (the white ones in the picture above) seem to be inexistent here in Italy, do you know if I can find a substitute for them?

Thank you very much.

Yes you're right, the pinned one can be inserted in the hole of the first kind of connector.

So every connector in the core has the pin on the upper side, to be soldered with the wire. J4 too right? Well I soldered the first kind in my core, Do you think it's bad simply to apply the pinned ones in the holes of the first-kind connector or I need to desolder every port and re-solder the 2nd-kind connectors? Thanks for the help.

One last thing: The so called "printstecker" connectors (the white ones in the picture above) seem to be inexistent here in Italy, do you know if I can find a substitute for them?

Thank you very much.

So every connector in the core has the pin on the upper side, to be soldered with the wire.

No wires are soldered to the pins on the upper side. The long pins that you see in the picture are connected with a connector that is plugged onto the pins. If you want to connect two boards with soldered wires, then the wires go straight into the holes of the circuit board.

Do you think it's bad simply to apply the pinned ones in the holes of the first-kind connector

Yes, it's bad. Mechanical connection are a common source of problems in electrical circuits. You don't want unneeded connections.

The so called "printstecker" connectors (the white ones in the picture above) seem to be inexistent here in Italy, do you know if I can find a substitute for them?

The only difference between the white connectors and the black connectors is that the white connector provide extra plastic support for the mating connector to make the connection more reliable.  You can substitute the "second kind" pin connectors.

So every connector in the core has the pin on the upper side, to be soldered with the wire.

No wires are soldered to the pins on the upper side. The long pins that you see in the picture are connected with a connector that is plugged onto the pins. If you want to connect two boards with soldered wires, then the wires go straight into the holes of the circuit board.

Do you think it's bad simply to apply the pinned ones in the holes of the first-kind connector

Yes, it's bad. Mechanical connection are a common source of problems in electrical circuits. You don't want unneeded connections.

The so called "printstecker" connectors (the white ones in the picture above) seem to be inexistent here in Italy, do you know if I can find a substitute for them?

The only difference between the white connectors and the black connectors is that the white connector provide extra plastic support for the mating connector to make the connection more reliable.  You can substitute the "second kind" pin connectors.

Hi,

There is another difference with the white connectors. If the correct mating connector is used the connection is polarized. That is, the mating connector can only be connected in one way and cannot be turned around. This is typically not true for the black connectors. This is not necessarily a problem with most connections since once a reversed connector is found it can be trurned around to operate correctly. With power connections (+5v,Ground) however a reversed connector could cause damage.

BTW it is possible to polarize the black connectors but it requires an extra 'male' pin that is not used and is cut off and a small plastic plug that is inserted into the mating 'female' connector in the cut off pin location. When this is done the 'female' connector can only be inserted with the plug aligned with the missing 'male' pin. This is a common practice in many PC connectors.

Regards,

Synapsys

Hi,

There is another difference with the white connectors. If the correct mating connector is used the connection is polarized. That is, the mating connector can only be connected in one way and cannot be turned around. This is typically not true for the black connectors. This is not necessarily a problem with most connections since once a reversed connector is found it can be trurned around to operate correctly. With power connections (+5v,Ground) however a reversed connector could cause damage.

BTW it is possible to polarize the black connectors but it requires an extra 'male' pin that is not used and is cut off and a small plastic plug that is inserted into the mating 'female' connector in the cut off pin location. When this is done the 'female' connector can only be inserted with the plug aligned with the missing 'male' pin. This is a common practice in many PC connectors.

Regards,

Synapsys