Note off XX Velocity 0 / Keystation Pro 88

ChriSu

...maybe not the perfect category, but here is my problem:

Since ever (15 years) I am unhappy with what I get when I play digital music with my M-Audio Keystation Pro 88. (Huge latency, strange sounds, etc.).....but I am not yet willing to give it up and buy a different one.

Now I found that when I release a key, it sends the MIDI command "Note off XX Velocity 0"

I think this is wrong: it should either be "Note on XX Velocity 0" or "Note off XX Velocity 127".

(....when I use a different keyboard that sends "Note off XX Velocity 127", there is no issue)

First question: is it likely that software as well as my Behringer Neutron get confused from "Note off XX Velocity 0"?

Second question: can I use MidiBox to receive MIDI commands, send the good ones and correct the bad ones, or would that create huge latency?

Thank you,

Christian

Hi Christian,

I agree that your keyboard doesn't handle Note-Off messages correctly. According to the MIDI Spec (-> https://web.archive.org/web/20071005165318fw_/http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tech/midispec/noteoff.htm ) the default velocity should be 64 if not supported, but it sends 0 instead. Your other keyboard sends 127, which is actually also wrong if it doesn't support this feature - but somehow works better.

Actually it's recommended that keyboards send Note On with velocity 0 to turn off the note, because this keeps the runtime status, ensures that no extra byte has to be sent out and therefore saves some time (ca. 320 uS)

Behringer Neutron: either sets a very long release time (e.g. for VCA envelope) with Note Off Velocity 0, or it doesn't handle Note Off correctly -- 0 is a valid value and if there is no special processing for this velocity value, it should be handled like any other.

Second question: can I use MidiBox to receive MIDI commands, send the good ones and correct the bad ones, or would that create huge latency?

This would add +1 mS latency, which is acceptable.

Best Regards, Thorsten.