MAQ Cloning?

vtl5c3

I found out about MIDIbox through Dirk Lindhof's website.  I'm looking for a way to create a multi-channel MIDI analog sequencer, but preferrably cheaper than the Doepfer MAQ.  I'm comfortable with soldering, since I've built around 100 or so analog synth modules, but not comfortable with programming.  

If I understand correctly, I would need the MIDIBox Core, 2 x AIN, 2 x DOUT and one AOUT PCB kit to essentially create something like a Doepfer MAQ.  

Now for the stupid question part:

Once I have everything assembled, all I have to do is hook up the core pcb to a PC via MIDI and dump the MIOS into it?  Will it know to detect how many rows of pots are connected, how many LEDs, LCDs, etc???

This all sounds far too simple!!!  Forgive me for being skeptical.  

Dear vtl5c3 (like this name)

This all sounds far too simple!!!  Forgive me for being skeptical.  

after building 100 synth modules your are right in beeing skeptical and you should know that everthing is more complicated than expected!!!

I'm looking for a way to create a multi-channel MIDI analog sequencer, but preferrably cheaper than the Doepfer MAQ

Your are absolutly in the right place here. but i wouldn´t build it with pots like the MAQ, instead i would use encoders. (You need more DINs and no AINs)

Just read Thorstens thoughts about the different hardware options.

nce I have everything assembled, all I have to do is hook up the core pcb to a PC via MIDI and dump the MIOS into it?  Will it know to detect how many rows of pots are connected, how many LEDs, LCDs, e

If you assemble the encoders, buttons, LCD and Leds exactly like Thorsten´s pdf ( just check them out and you will understand more) than you don´t have to change anything in the Program (even though it is very easy). But first you need to get bootstraploader on the PIC. You can do this by building a PIC burner or you ask a nice MB member to do that for you. Then you load up (over Midi) the MIOS (operation system) and then the application (in your case the SEQ app.)

After that you have a very beautiful sequencer. If you want to control your Vtl5c3´s than you have to build the CV output extension as well.

Hope i to help you. Read the Homepage as often as you can and you will get it.

chriss