DIN problem

Nikolai

Hi!

I have a problem with my DIN-module. The symptoms are a bit strange sometimes the buttons work, sometimes they dont. Sometimes one button hangs and sendes on/off msg. Repeatedly util another button is pressed. My din used to work, so i was thinking this might be a software error, does there exist a small program for only running a din-module? so that I can test the hardware? At the moment only the DIN is connected to my core, and I’m running a modified version of the box64.

By the way thank you all for this wonedrful site and the consept it self, it’s one of a kind.

Nikolai

Thank you both!

I now have established that it is a hardware problem. Going over the board, and re-soldered some resistors, that did the trick. (I’ll never Hurry-solder  again).

How ever after a while another problem occurred. When  only the first ic is in, buttons work, but if I put in the second none work. Is there an obvious solution to this? Maybe I’ll run over to the shop and bye some new 74HC’s, but I find it hard to believe they are all broken (tried swapping them)

Thank you

Nikolai

Either again some solder-prob (short somewhere perhaps) or you really fried them with the last trick  ;D.

Did they get hot? Do they? If one of both yupp -> kentucky (fried ICs).

*Always* check the supply voltage of every IC before you put it in. Normally the rest doesn´t need to be tested (all the Ins and Outs).

Hope that helps some bit. Greetz!

Hi,.

No they haven't been hot, like room temp.. I'l try with new ones anyway, only costs like a bottle of pepsi. The voltage reads 4.2, that should be ok, or? I think there is a evil spell over this particular pcb, all others i've made have worked on first try... ;)

Nikolai

Nope! 4.2 Volt is to less! I think of following: You put in first IC -> works, second IC -> voltage drops cause of current -> nothing works anymore.

As the voltage comes from your core you *must* have the same voltage as there, at least 5.0 Volts, better something like 5.1 or 5.2. If you have less voltage everywhere (also on the core) you have some drain somewhere (short - check if the 7805 get´s to hot - like to hot to touch) or your powersupply is to small. If your core read 5 Volts and the DIN does not, there *is* something with your DIN.

In both cases, a broken IC can cause the prob.

Greetz & hope it starts working.

yes!

The other morning I woke up fresh and free, and I soon figured out that it was the cable between the core and the din, though I measured a connection and my millimetre said BEEP!

There was a slight voltage drop, replaced the cable and everything is in perfect order, no new ic’s needed. I feel a bit silly that the problem was that simple, but at least now I know the DIN in and out.

Thank you all for helping!

Nikolai :D