V. Basic Question

Guest Peter_Bowcott

Guest Peter_Bowcott

Hi there, I am currently prototyping a kinetic sound sculpture that uses moving magnets to activate reed switches, which are connected to a MIDICreator unit that we have at work, which converts them to MIDI  messages that then triggers a sampler.  The final piece is going to have a lot of reed switches, more than the 16 I have access to on the MIDIcreator.  Today I started thinking about how to tackle this and came across this site (I was on the verge of just thinking about ripping apart a MIDI keyboard).  Would I be right in thinking that the MIDIO 128 would be the best solution for getting access to as many "keys" as I wanted ?  Could the reed switches be wired up directly to the Digital inputs or would I need relays ?  See I am at a very basic level !!

Any advice would be most welcome

Pete

Guest Peter_Bowcott

Hi there, I am currently prototyping a kinetic sound sculpture that uses moving magnets to activate reed switches, which are connected to a MIDICreator unit that we have at work, which converts them to MIDI  messages that then triggers a sampler.  The final piece is going to have a lot of reed switches, more than the 16 I have access to on the MIDIcreator.  Today I started thinking about how to tackle this and came across this site (I was on the verge of just thinking about ripping apart a MIDI keyboard).  Would I be right in thinking that the MIDIO 128 would be the best solution for getting access to as many "keys" as I wanted ?  Could the reed switches be wired up directly to the Digital inputs or would I need relays ?  See I am at a very basic level !!

Any advice would be most welcome

Pete

Hi Pete,

thats a simple job for the MIDIO128 --- with digital inputs. Reed switches are working like common buttons, they just close a connection. Therefore they can be connected to the DIN module without additional components.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.: don't forget to take a photo from your project for my MIDIbox gallery! :)

Hi Pete,

thats a simple job for the MIDIO128 --- with digital inputs. Reed switches are working like common buttons, they just close a connection. Therefore they can be connected to the DIN module without additional components.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.: don't forget to take a photo from your project for my MIDIbox gallery! :)

Guest Peter_Bowcott

Dear Thorsten,

Thanks for the reply, I have come to the conclusion that the MIDIO128 is indeed the most effective solution for my project.  Am I right in thinking I just need to buy the CORE_V2 and four of the DINX4_v2's boards from http://www.mikes-elektronikseite.de/midishop inorder to make my box? Would I also need to get a JDM_V2 or would the PIC in the core unit come with firmware already burnt to it if I bought a ready made board from Christian Pudowsky  - OK I'm Lazy  ::) but other aspects of the project need my attention (I think it is this side of the project that scares me as I have no knowledge at all in that area ?

Thanks for any advice, I look forward to trying some of the more interesting projects that your supporters are engaged in once my present project is completed.

Thanks again, and of course I will send you images of the final project.

Pete

Guest Peter_Bowcott

Dear Thorsten,

Thanks for the reply, I have come to the conclusion that the MIDIO128 is indeed the most effective solution for my project.  Am I right in thinking I just need to buy the CORE_V2 and four of the DINX4_v2's boards from http://www.mikes-elektronikseite.de/midishop inorder to make my box? Would I also need to get a JDM_V2 or would the PIC in the core unit come with firmware already burnt to it if I bought a ready made board from Christian Pudowsky  - OK I'm Lazy  ::) but other aspects of the project need my attention (I think it is this side of the project that scares me as I have no knowledge at all in that area ?

Thanks for any advice, I look forward to trying some of the more interesting projects that your supporters are engaged in once my present project is completed.

Thanks again, and of course I will send you images of the final project.

Pete

Guest drummond

I contacted Christian Pudowsky the other day and he told me that the PIC does not come programmed. You'd have to program it yourself. Or sen it to Thorsten, who told he programs than for free with a US$4,00 shipping fee, If I'm not wrong.

Guest drummond

I contacted Christian Pudowsky the other day and he told me that the PIC does not come programmed. You'd have to program it yourself. Or sen it to Thorsten, who told he programs than for free with a US$4,00 shipping fee, If I'm not wrong.