Recycle old electronic stuff from a mixing console

defred

I was given an old mixing desk with an old fashion enclosure (wood on the sides), I have no use of it since it sounds crappy. So I decided I would make it a midibox because the surface is already well thought for a Midi studio console. Well I have all these old components inside and some of them looks great (like some short faders), so Here is my question that proves I don't understand nothing in electronic (But I've build an mb 64 already ;)), How can I use 100K linear fader in place of 10K ? Because I found in this mixer some nice metal enclosed short course faders that I would love to implement in my Mbox, I wonder if there were no trick using resistance or so.

If you have hints on this specific problem (100K pot instead of 10K) or best If you have an electronic rule that could help me understand how I could use old material even if it do not feet exactly, it would be really appreciated.

Sorry if it has been asked million times, the forum search utility is still not really efficient  :-[

(I'm back on the forum, I've been away for a long time now be always watched what was going on)

defred

What would be the behavior of a Log fader, because I managed to put the 100K metal faders in my box, but noticed that indeed values are not linear and the "half value" is not at middle fader position ?

is that all ? because even if it's not really precise, for my mixing purpose it is quite great on the volume faders, it cuts fast and come back the same !

Now it's a problem for mycrossfader because the center point is not the physical center point.

Any hint on available online "solid metal enclosed" appropriate faders ?

defred

What would be the behavior of a Log fader..

Check: http://tangentsoft.net/audio/atten.html

Sure it cuts fast in MB environment, you'll see 50% of values are at the top 10% of the fader travel.. Not exactly a precision control ;)

..But usually that cutting task is left for the crossfader (IF dj prefers using it ;) ) and basic beat mixing is done with channel faders.. and  then precision is needed.. (well, kill eq's help a lot...))

Bye, Moebius