Want to buy: SID 8580

Jurbo

Ebay community? What does this community mean? I know that ebay is a huge auction site, but are there special communities inside? Gotta go and check...

Besides, I would rather buy a tested chip than bid for C64's whose sid type I can't be sure of (and I don't want to have a closet full of gutted C64's - it kind of hurts to see the poor machines lying there, rendered useless...).  :-/

hi,

Ebay community? What does this community mean?

i think; ebay community=ebay; just search for SID/c64 commodore etc.>

(and I don't want to have a closet full of gutted C64's - it kind of hurts to see the poor machines lying there, rendered useless...).  

remember nothing is really useless, you can re-use everything (with a little imagination ;) )

but for ebay it's maybe better to search for "SID 8580" or something; less shipping costs!

cheers,

marcel

just look on ebay for the c64s with the updated cases (just slightly off-white, sleeker body).  these generally have the newer chips in them.  as for if the chips will work or not, just ask the seller (if sound works, chip works).  it's not difficult and not very risky.  even if the c64 itself doesn't work, what are the chances that the sound chip will be broken?

also, you can find info online about the various production runs of the c64s.  this will give you date and serial number ranges which correspond to the different chips.