Sid Interconnection test

Huw

OK, it passed the interconnection test on all pins, I have connected it up to my PC and viewing through MIDI-OX, I get the initial boot message from the PIC, i have enbled the MIDI-OX keyboard and can see the outgoing data in the monitor when i press keys but I have no audio out.  There isnt a boot tone either (im sure i read that there should be somewhere but cant find the reference again!).

Any ideas?

Cheers

Huw

The boot tone or melody (it's a Super Mario style rising "bloing") comes only when you have a formatted bankstick attached to the Core.

The stick will be formatted the first time the Core finds it, and the lcd will go through patch numbers and give a "ding" sound on each patch number. Only after this you will get the boot tone.

right, I have connected up an LCD to see if the MIOS display can give me any extra clues as to the problem and uploaded the "6581 with CS" sysex.

After booting, the display shows:

P   1   C   1   1---

Internal Patch

I understand that the P value is the patch number from 1-128, and that the C value is the MIDI channel, which is defenately 1 in my case, I have confirmed this by sending patch change data from MIDI-OX and it only get recognised when the channel in MIDI-OX is set to 1, and that the Internal Patch just shows that a bankstick is not being accessed, as for the 1---, any ideas?

Is there any documentation on what this signifies?

Guest Gurgalax

Huw,

I had the same problem, I went over everything. My VDC was correct on everything.

Most likely it is the connection from the core to the sid. Make sure the connection is correct, it is not a 1 pin to 1 pin connection. Look at the C64 PSU schematic, and zoom in on the SID and CORE module connections, they are a bit tricky, I had them backwards.

Now my sid works...its marvellous!

-Felix

i appears that was at least one of the problems, thanks ;D

I can now hear some very low level clicking when changing through patches and when using JSynthLib to play patches there is some very low level sound on the output.

I have run the interconnection test again since changing the CORE->SID wiring and all pins passed with 4.96V

any more ideas?

i feel like i am REALLY close to getting the unit working :)