a little idea :)

Guest kostix

Anyone ever tried hooking up a capacitor between the middle pin and ground of the potentiometer while its connected to your midibox ? :)

I connected a 2200uF cap to one of the pots, and when I turn quickly the pot to some direction, and suddenly stop it, the value is decreased or increased logarythmically  cause of the cap discharge time thru the pot itself to the ground ;)

This can be useful to create really nice "analogish" fadeouts or fade ins :)

Just my bit

ciao

if you would like to use a physically smaller cap to privide ths same "smoothing " effect, do this:

With the positive side of the cap still connected to Ain,

wire a resistor between the wiper of the pot and Ain.

This will lengthen the time constant.

Time constant can easily be calculated as R*C (in ohms and farads). Basically if you scale the resitor up by a factor of 1000 then you can scale the cap *down* by a factor of 1000 and have the same response!

With a 10uF cap try say 22kohm resistor.

• 3 weeks later...
could this not be done in software, by calculating some sort of moving average, this would meen that you could switch it on or off witch would be cool

it seems the same could be done with a switch to either routte the circuit thru the cap  or direct depending on how you want to use it at the time

• 2 weeks later...

i would still go with the hardware..

its not so much stuff

only a cap and a switch, maybe even have a rotary switch to be able to switch in different caps,

or simply a pot in place of the R in RC.

this way u get *truly* logarythmic decay, without loading the processor anyhow and no misc software change ;)