MBSeq: switching 4 patterns at once?

mr_chombee

hi all,

my sequencer is almost ready...just waiting for the frontplate now. this is a great piece of hardware...big up to TK!

however, let's come to my problem: I noticed a slight disadvantage of the pattern/song playback routine. as I want to use the sequencer for live appearances, I want to be able to 1. mute/unmute the 16 tracks of a sequence - which is no problem at all, but 2. to edit the first 4 tracks in realtime (of every song!). the problem is: if I want to perform a new song or lets say live sequence without taking a break, I would either have to assign the next 4 patterns manually in pattern mode or I would have to create a song structure in song mode, where song #1 i.e. loops pattern A1 A2 A3 and A4 and song #2 loops lets say B1 B2 B3 and B4.  (hope you can follow me... ;))

both options would cause problems in regards to switch over 'smootly' to the next live sequence:

- if I have to assign the patterns manually, it needs time to select every single pattern, so the different sounds and drum arrangements of both live sequences would mix up.

- if I use the song mode, the changes made on track 1-4 will always be discarded as soon as the song goes back to position 1, as it completely reloads the stored pattern from the bankstick.

a workaround could be simple, but I have almost zero programming skills, so I'm wondering if anyone of you can help me with this?

workaround #1:

the pattern mode menu could be extended with a function that allows to select a complete 'set' of patterns which changes all 4 patterns at the same time. something like this:

P1 P2 P3 P4 SET

A1 A2 A3 A4 1

P1 P2 P3 P4 SET

B1 B2 B3 B4 2

I guess you would need another bank stick in order to save the sets, right?

workaround#2:

you could use the 'All'-button to change the pattern bank (group) value of all 4 patterns at the same time.

P1 P2 P3 P4

A1 A2 A3 A4

('All'-button = active)

P1 P2 P3 P4

B1 B2 B3 B4

you would have to organize a live set in pattern groups, i.e. song #1 consits of track A1-A4, song #2 consists of track B1-B4.

workaround #3:

a complete rebuild of the song mode which does not reload a pattern from the bankstick if it is in loop mode. but I guess this is getting too complicated.

can you mios freaks tell me if one of the options mentioned above is possible? and would you help me to program it (if it doesn't get too complicated)?

and another question: is it possible to save the track mute status of a pattern? right now, if I switch to a new pattern, a track keeps muted if the track of the preceding pattern has been muted.

ok...that's enough for now ;)

cheers everyone!

nico

Hi Nico,

thanks for the compliments! :)

First of all I must say that I'm aware of this "problem", but currently I'm totally focused on MIDIbox FM, therefore I fear that I won't find the time to add some new features to MIDIbox SEQ in this year.

I've already defined a solution which improves the live handling of multiple patterns which belong together. See also the wish list under http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq.html:

• Feature: a song should be splitted into 16 song parts, especially for breaks and fills
  • Feature: synchronized switching of song parts with the next beat
  • Feature: possibility to edit track 5-16 w/o rearranging the patterns (problem: should modifications of the current pattern be saved or discarded - solution: a message should pop up which asks for this)

Especially the "song part" feature will allow you to define up to 16 sets of patterns within one song. You will be able to switch between the parts from the general purpose buttons, or with a keyboard. You will also be able to edit track 5-16 in realtime. Hope this makes sense :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.: no, it is not possible to save the track mute status. Maybe this could be added to song mode in combination with the parts

thanks for the quick reply. you rock!

I already saw the wishlist. just thought one of the options in my 1st post (especially #2 with the 'All'-button) could be realized quite simply...just to have a little extra toy until a new software version is being released. but well...I guess it's worth to wait and I'll need some time to finish the box anyway :)

the new song part / track edit feature sounds awesome! good luck!

Of course, #2 could be made quickly, but over the years I've learned not to do such quick changes on request anymore, since this mostly means that people start to request even more - with the effect that I'm not able to finish my own plans.

I also don't want to change the user interface in a way which is obsolete once the song part functiuon is available... mostly such "redundant" features will lead to a really unwanted complexity. In worst case it could lead to the situation where much more useful functions are not integratable anymore since the code for the redudnant functions fills the memory

A general note.: users are always allowed to integrate these functions by themself. But without my support, and propably without the chance to bring the additions into the official release (this is only possible once the project is completely finished from my side...). This is not because of ignorancy to other programmers, but just required to reduce the effort from my side.

Best Regards, Thorsten.