mbhp +mf as volume control for analog audio

Guest djrazz

ok i've done a weeks worth of reading and printed out every schematic and tried to figure this out  but it seems i must ask

when you use the motor faders in a contol suface

i.e. axel design

do these faders only contol functions?

could the mf module be used as it is and run the faders in a mixing console ? it seems that it could run 12 mono tracks  

if this is possible could then those signals be used to control something like the mixer panel in propellerheads reason (www.propellerheads.se)

if  having a motorised mixer is cool on it's own

espessialy a midi contolled mixer

so all of your audio aoutput could be contolled

Hi

Depends on the console, on big expensive desks this is rather easy. On small and some mediums size desks it's almost impossible (Well nothing is impossible, but it would proble cost less to buy something the does the job)

It all depends on how the desk was made and how much the desk is worth. If we are talking a 0.5 million dollar Neve or SSL I would say yes, good idea. If it's not it proably not worth it.

I've got my eyes on a Neve orignal from EMI studios in london circa 1970 in a local studio that I'de LOVE to retro fit with Midi controlled motorised faders. The problem is convincing the owner of the studio that it's a good idea. Currently the desk has a old dodegy SMPTE based "Automation Computer", it's rubish. The thing is so old it only takes 5.25" floppy disks.

This studio uses ProTools almost exclusively now so it would make perfect sence to have ProTools in control of the automation rather than some old bit of junk.  

Regards

Rowan

there were two questions

1 what functions do the sliders  on the control suface do ?

2. could i use a cheap (around 200)  mixer i already have and replace the faders with motorised models and

control windows software or vise versa(contol mixer from windows) via midi

this would be using faders as volume controls

windows would only control the motors

like this example A :

http://www.real-image.com/audio/digi/mmix.asp

or the Peavey's StudioMix

example 2 http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MCS3800/

example c

http://www.mackie.com/pdf/hui_om.pdf

hopefully  this will explain what im trying to acomplish with the mbhp

sort of a cross between a mb64e  and a mb lc

this is the mixer i would be sacrificing /offering to midi mios gods

http://www.behringer.com/MX1604A/index.cfm?lang=ENG

sort of  intigrating the correct modules with some of the circuitry from the mixer

to create the perfect mix of digital and audio controls

besides who.5 million to buy a recoding studio

thats why we build our own equipment

I have thought of controlling an analog mixer with a MBLC derivative. Maybe you could put the analogue motorised faders on a separate panel, and route them as attenuators on your mixer's inserts, and leave the inbuilt faders on 0dB unity. (only ones I know of are penny and giles, for around $80 US each... better you find a way to build your own faders... alps motorised faders, plus some logarithmic alps faders strapped together in tandem... or buy an old console with an automation system at an auction or something... maybe not worth the hassle :'()

anyway, drjazz, I'm not sure if you are aware that most of us  just use the MBLC (like axels) to control the mixing functions digitally within applications like logic audio...

anyway, drjazz, I'm not sure if you are aware that most of us  just use the MBLC (like axels) to control the mixing functions digitally within applications like logic audio...

theres the answer im looking for  

as long as you can control your software faders this is really what i want anyways

this will let you control as many tracks as you have on your system  i.e. 32 or 64 ?  more

theres the answer im looking for

Glad we cleared that up!

this will let you control as many tracks as you have on your system  i.e. 32 or 64 ?  more

Yeah, you use the bank left/right keys to change to the next 8 (or 16 if you have two MBLC's) faders. When you do this, the LCD becomes quite important to identify which channels you are controlling. (a disadvantage of those cheap behringer units)

...Steve