midiboxFM vs. midiboxSID

ladybug

hi

i want to build me a synth so...

which one is easier to build (considering de-soldering) ?

whixh one is cheaper ?

which one is easier to find parts (chips) to ?

which one is more friendly to work with ?

which one got a better sound ?

i know the last one is a discussion on its own and probably could be answered as it is a subject of personal taste...

but which got a deeper bass, more crisp sound, etc.

hello,

which one is easier to build (considering de-soldering) ?

concidering desoldering the MBSID is easier; you don't desolder at all (and the MBFM aswell if you order new ic's ;))

whixh one is cheaper ?

depends on what you want; you have to read the hardware options carefully, decide what hardware you want; then you can calculate what the costs will be building it; (this is different for everyone; what/howmany knobs/encoders/displays etc)

which one is easier to find parts (chips) to ?

eehm, depends on your "partfinding qualities" and your lokation, but most parts you can find in big electronic mailorders (not the cheapest solution (try ebay))

which one is more friendly to work with ?

as MBFM is still in development so i don't know that; but if you know some (virtual) (subtractive?) analog synths, i think MBSID is easy to understand. OSCpitch/pulswidth/(vca)/Filter modulated by envelopes and LFO's (and if this sounds boring; you can do wavetables too)

but which got a deeper bass, more crisp sound, etc.

i think this could aswell be subject of an endless discussion; best thing is to listen to the samples, hear if one of the synths has your preference; anyway i'm sure both synths have very interesting specs and sounds

in short; you probably will want to build both.... ;D

good luck; marcel