Cheap 40x2 LCD

cheater

http://www.bgmicro.com/prodinfo.asp?sid=048407407407407419321928146&prodid=LCD1025&page=1&cri=LCD&stype=2&time_out=44:52

Comes with the useful dust cover fabric thing and is easily mountable.

Gonna mail them for some photos of it working soon :) wonder about the contrast.

40x2 LCD/LED Back Light Price: $5.95

Part No.: LCD1025

In Stock: Yes

Quantities 1 to 2 - $5.95 3+ - $4.67

Product Description

This 40x2 LCD is a part of another module. Remove 6 screws and you have a brand new LCD with an LED back light. 8 bit interface. Includes the HD44780 controller or equivalent. Panel measures 7-1/4"x 1-1/4". Viewing area: 6"x5/8". The 5x8 dot matrix characters measure 3.20mm (1.26")x5.55mm(2.19"). You had better sit down because here comes the price and I dont want anyone passing out. LCD1025.....

Can you say cheap? :)

Has anyone used those (with or without success)?

Also, those look nice for the mb SEQ:

http://www.okaya.com/RC4002-L.pdf

285 milimeters wide display :) for better spacing of those knobs.. hate how near they have to be :)

Unfortunately, 2 of those won't fit in a 19" rack :( to be exact, two of them are around 22,4409448818897637795275590551181" wide.

Still, I didn't know that/where they made them that big :)

hey,

yeah, people have posted about the bg micro LCDs quite a bit.  you can even find a link on one of the ucapps pages.  i use them myself and they work great.  just so you know, you're gonna have to build the negative voltage mod:

http://www.midibox.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=troubleshooting;action=display;num=1099022402

it's really quick and easy though.

Thanks!

One last question: how would you compare that to VFD displays?

They seem much brighter, but also somewhat uneasy to the eye. Also, the text seems to be somewhat unsharp, but I can't make sure statements - the only contact with VFDs I've had is a 70s calculator :) The rest is based on photos.. but photos are very misleading!

I'm wondering, since there are some VFDs in Germany (I live in Poland) priced about the same. Still, I wouldn't want to buy something that'd prove useless - especially since my money is extremely limited :)

Also, another concern is that VFDs are from glass - they might break! :-[

as i said before, i'm quite happy with my lcds so if you've gotten one from bg micro, just use that.  vfds look great also and aren't difficult to read at all, although they can often appear too bright when the lights are out (you can adjust the brightness though)...i guess this can be said about lcd backlights also...  anyway, i think that the decision should be based on aesthetic reasons more than anything - both types of displays are easy to read in the dark, it just depends on which one you think would look cooler with your project.  i will say this, however: i'm not sure how difficult it is to implement a vfd display.  in other words, with an lcd display you just hook up the data pins and the leads on the backlight.  not sure if it's as simple with a vfd display.  perhaps someone who has used one could provide more detailed input here?

good luck.  and remember, either way you'll be able to read it in the dark without any problems.

I am looking for cheap (or affordable) 20X2 blue lcd with normal (standard) measurements. I live in the netherlands. But i cannot find anything below 60$ (including shipping and handling) Crystalfontz is also expensive. Is the 20X2 bgmicro a standard measurement (i dont thinks so according to that picture) the data sheet is not very helpfull.

• 4 weeks later...