soldering vs. wirewrap

ladybug

as far as i can see all of u do solder everything !

but some experts tell me it will be wiser and easier if i will use the wire-wrap technique !

considering i will not about to make/buy the PCBs for this (too complicated/expensive for me)...

what would u suggest ?

Wire Wrapping is a professional prototyping procedure that works fine, but you need an expensive tool (the "wire warapping pistol") to do so -- and you need everything on corresponding wire wrapping sockets. This is more expensive than soldering on finished PCBs or simply wiring on vector boards. I used wire wrapping in my former company for all protos and it worked fine. It's very flexible if you want to rewire something. And: the boards get ~2 cm thicker due to the wire wrap posts.

Cheers,

Skunk

Actually you can wire-wrap successfully with a manual tool, the 'expensive pistol' is

not a strict requirement.  The problem is that  wire-wrapping is best when you are

doing intereconnections between lots of IC sockets and headers and such that

already have the appropriate square pins on them..   With the MIDIbox modules

a lot of the components don't have the appropriate pins and you end up soldering

them onto appropriate pins anyway.   With the price of good pc boards already

available there is not much incentive to wirewrap.   Wire-wrapping also adds to the

vertical height of any board you build which can be important in low-profile

enclosures.