MidiBox Sid - So much trouble

lifeinabox

???

No Sound, and now no midi messages.

Anyone willing to sell me a tested preprogrammed pic with what I need, or program mine so I can rule that out?

I don't think it is a power supply problem, (but it may be)?  I don't know if my sid is dead (Probably not all 3)?  i dont know if the PIC is programmed wrong, but i think it is?  And I don't know if the hardware is ok?  Any good tests for dead SIDs, bad PICs or anything else? For someone relatively new at this it is a bit too many layers of troubleshooting to be working out at the same time.  Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.  

Thank you. - KBud

Midibox Sid Mios 1.7 main.syx 1.6final

Midisport 2x2 midi interface

Mac osx.3

hi, whats your hardwaresetup? We need to know more than "no sound and no midi messages". got an lcd? it makes troubleshooting easier and you'll probably want one anyhow.

(Keep looking on ebay (and maybe some links in the forum) for cheap ones.)

Meanwhile check all the (IC)voltages on the boards you use; look up shematics/building instructions, check connections.

If this turns out right then check if;

you burnt the bootstraploader correctly (or did you buya preprogrammed PIC)?

you uploaded MIOS+ the SIDapp correctly?

This is where lcd would come in handy but it's possible to check, read the relevant pages on ucapps well and look in the troubleshooting section of the forum!!

Oh, and start with (troubleshooting) the step A SID(1core module, 1sid module, powersupply (lcd ;D)) make this work and then try connecting your other SID voices

cheers, marcel  

Ok I did the whole checking the IC voltages long ago, I am just using setup A without the LCD and control panel.  I got Bootstrap loader pre burned on my pic, then i was geting the correct messages through midi, then i tried to load the mios and Sid app through SysEx Librarian.  Then Nothing no midi on startup no sound no nothing.  I dont have an lcd because one that i got a deal on was bunk when it got to me and wasn't what the person said it was and didnt want to go through wasting more money on this currently lifeless project.  - kBud

You've checked the voltages long time ago, but are you sure that each connection is still in place? I mean: sometimes people don't solder all components/cables well enough, bad junctions can cause random effects.

You wrote that you got the correct messages through MIDI during the MIOS/application upload.

But now you don't get any MIDI message on startup anymore, is this correct?

Could it be that the bad junctions are around the oscillator, or the MIDI Out Port?

The MIDI troubleshooting guide helps you to analyze such problems:

http://www.ucapps.de/howto_debug_midi.html

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I have rechecked the connections a dozen times, I was receiving the correct midi messages before the mios upload and in the mios upload is where it got off.  I am also using a Mac so the sure-fire program suggested in the midi help is not usable. I have very little experience with sysex upload stuff and I just have no leg to stand on with troubleshooting.  I have nothing that I am 100% sure that is correct to base further steps on except that I am now sure that my sid isnt dead. - kBud