Volts and mios

Jorge

Hello, its been some time since I last posted on the forum, I now have 4 core boards populated except for the chips and 4 sid boards

in the same state , checked the voltages at the relevent pins and I get readings slightly less than the stated ideal.

i.e 4.97V instead of 5V and 11.99V instead of 12V. Is this normal or is it the resolution of  my multi tester ,should I be worried about this?

I don't know if this is the correct area for my next question but here goes anyway, am  I right in assumming that when I load MIOS into my PICs which have already got the bootstrap loader and relevent ids loaded I still have to change the device id code in the relevent line of Mios or is this now automatically detected like the SID application does.

As always the forum grows from strength to strength and it's testement to how good a source of information it is that  this is only the second time I've posted a question.

As is often said all the infomation is on the web pages and it is only the quantity that sometimes makes it a bit confusing for me.

Jorge      :)

i'll leave the mios question for someone else to answer, as i've never built a multi-sid box.  as for the voltage question:  those values are fine.  none of the voltages are going to be exact.  generally, if your meter reads within a few tenths of a volt or so you're ok.  certainly readings within .03 volts (as you mentioned) are totally fine.

Hi,

I think the device settings (ID, LCD etc) are set very early by the bootloader. You can read it on the Bootloader page, "boot options".

This allows for example to configure the MIOS-to-COM interface to download MIOS and applications.

So no, I don't think you have to change the code of MIOS.

But then again, I haven't build it yet also so double-check yourself :)

I don't know if this is the correct area for my next question but here goes anyway, am  I right in assumming that when I load MIOS into my PICs which have already got the bootstrap loader and relevent ids loaded I still have to change the device id code in the relevent line of Mios or is this now automatically detected like the SID application does.

an auto detection for the MIOS ID itself is infeasible, each core module in the MIDI chain needs an unique ID, otherwise it wouldn't be possible to address informations (code/data) to a dediated PIC. But you don't need to change any code line in order to change the IDs of the sysex blocks, you only need to re-generate the .syx file from the .hex file with the hex2syx.pl script like described in the README.txt of the MIOS package, and you have to follow the step by step instructions which can be found http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid_csB.html (they are still valid)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Great, thanks for the quick replies.

Thought the voltages would be ok but it's aways good to double check .

Thorsten, thank you for your reply, that has made it totally clear to me now.

I'll look at the mios file some time today and hopefully should have my PICs all loaded and ready to go

by the end of the week.

Is there any particular software or application that is used to reconvert the mios hex file or is it all in the mios zip?

Anyway you'r a true genius and a fast worker, the FM synth sounds excellent  I'm already sourcing old sound blaster boards.Can't wait to finish the SID then I can start that one. ;D  Jorge...