digital pots

havensole

hey, i know it's been posted before, but i get out of it what i was hoping, so here it goes again (sorry if it's redundant).  my idea is to use digital pots on various real analog vco's, vcf's, vca, etc. and have them controlled by mios.  the question i have is which dgital pots to use and how to connect them to which modules. any info is appreciated. thanks

-haven

WARNING: This is a mental model I've been playing with for a couple weeks.  More experimentation is necessary.

Suppose we have eight resistors connected in series.  This arrangement adds up to 10k ohms or whatever.  Alongside each resistor is a bypass controlled by a transistor or triac.  The bases of these eight transistors are connected to eight DOUT outputs.  The 256 discrete resistance levels should be acceptable.

The front panel of this hypothetical synth will be composed of lots of digital encoders, each with a display composed of three 7-segment LEDs.  An LCD display will show the current patch name and slot number.  The idea is you can see the entire state of the synth at once.  Load up a new patch and all the LEDs above the encoders change to reflect the new settings.

Someone, please check this out and tell me if I'm right, wrong, or insane.