soldering 7805/Crystal

nogginj

Im building the midibox16+, having alot of fun doing it.

In regards to the 7805 Voltage regulator...do i just solder wires directly to the posts on this thing? i cant squeeze them into the holes on my board (ive been using on eof those boards with conductive strips on side, very helpful!). Also, which is post 1 2 and 3 as labelled in the schematic?

The crystal too...do i just solder wires directly to the posts?

thanks yall

[shadow=red,left,300]jeff[/shadow]

Hi Jeff,

yes, thats ok. The pin numbers can be seen in the new PCB preview: http://www.ucapps.de/tmp/mplus_new_pcb.gif (note that this board is a little bit different from the current schematic, but the power supply circuit is the same). Maybe you should use a small drill or a screw driver to enlarge the holes for the 7805.

The crystal hasn't a certain direction, yes you can solder them directly to the pins

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thorsten i hate to keep bothering you but all these replies seem to confuse me further. I was using a different schematic for the power supply (the one that shows two different ways to build it).

I dont see this 2200uf thingy on the ones i have and i dont see the commutator on the one you have. right now i have the power supply built with four diodes (some cris crossing each other) and a 470 and 33 cap (will put the 7805 in tomorrow).

so am i doing this correctly? i would really hate to get the thing built and fry all the chips right away.

Yes, everything is perfect! The reason why there are different components on the new board is that I'm trying to unify all MIDIbox designs in order to avoid any confusion :-)

Is it clear now how the 7805 has to be connected? I refered to the layout because it shows the pinning of the 7805: I (input side), _ (ground), O (output/+5V side)

Important hint: use sockets! Solder all components to the board but don't put the PIC, 4051 and optocoupler into the socket so long as you ensured (with a multimeter or something else) that the voltage level behind the 7805 is +5V. If this is ensured, you can put the ICs into the sockets without danger

Best Regards, Thorsten.