Major Midibox error, bypass capacitors!

KD

i disagree.  besides, isn't it just as bad (not to mention rude) to badmouth SmashTV like that?

that's not the point.  i, for one, think very highly of thorsten, which is why i came to his defense...not because i thought he needed help.

Well... to be honest, I just felt SmashTV's reply was one of those that fuel the fire and let it burn. Oh well, let's leave that.

I still love SmashTV :P

talk to KD about this one, cheater.  KD said, "Congratulations, you took the bait and swalowed it readily!"  sounds to me like he's been enjoying this.  while your info on typical forum etiquette was news to me (thanks for the info, though), i'm not really sure it justifies KD's attitude.  as far as i'm concerned, there's a difference between discussing information in "business-like" manner and mixing that information with explicit insults and condescension.

I never justified that! I just explained it, and made it look less bad ;)

oh well...this'll all blow over soon enough, i guess...

Yeah, let's just get back on the topic.

So, who's in for deluxe versions of modules?

We all know the SID can sound better with a little bit of 12AX7 lovin'... *cough* :P ;)

Seriously though: there must be dozens of small mods we all could apply to certain modules, especially since they have been out for quite some time. Perhaps we could have the bypass caps, perhaps we could point out which places would profit from 2% resistors, or audio-grade caps, or a new output stage for the sound chip, be it SID or OPL3 (SmashTV said he's working on one for the SID - Smash: you said you wanted cheap transistors. Perhaps make a costy transistor version too? :) ). Perhaps some better voltage regulators for less noise on the analog lines. Or what ever, really!

It seems that this flamewar was mainly caused by a big misunderstanding on KDs side. I haven't wrote arguments against bypass caps, I only tried to explain why I haven't taken this issue into account yet.

However, the missing bypass caps will be added to the documentation next weekend (don't have that much time next week), KDs initial suggestion (stuffing 100nF SMDs close to the Vdd inputs of each IC) seems to be the best one - it especially doesn't require a layout change. 10/100 uF caps can also be easily added.

All the other suggestions should normaly go into the Wiki, so that the infos can easily be enhanced in futuer. Any volunteer who creates a new page?

Best Regards, Thorsten.