HELP Removing SID from C64 Board

samuraiev

hey,

the "connector above the board" is called a socket.  basically, that "connector" allows you to remove and insert the chip freely, without soldering/desoldering.  so, to remove the chip, simply pull it out of the socket.  be careful not to bend the pins of the chip, though.  if some pins do get bent, it's not the end of the world (you can usually bend them back into place), but just try to avoid it.  i'm assuming that you don't have a chip puller on hand, so i'd recommend prying each side of the chip (the ends that don't have pins coming out of them) a little bit at a time with a knife or something until it loosens enough for you to remove it with your fingers.  when you take it out with your fingers, try to pull it evenly out of the socket.  once you have it in your hand, don't expose it to static electricity!  that means avoid touching the pins with your fingers and try to ground yourself (touch a radiator, the screw on a wall socket, etc.) before/while handling it.  if possible, place it in an antistatic bag (maybe one left over from some parts you ordered or something?).  hope that helps.  if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Yeah.  i figured it was a socket of some type ( build lots of pc's so i'm used all the sockets mobo's have.).  well..

here's an interesing update.  i was pulling the chip away from the board slowly... and as it came away, two of the pins at the end of the chip broke off inside the connector.  so, i guess i've got myself a box for my SID anyway.  back to ebay.

next time, i have the advice.  thanks guys.

wow, i've never heard of that.  maybe there was some corrosion and the pins stuck to the socket?  anyway, sorry about that.  don't head to ebay just yet though.....is there any bit of metal still sticking out of the chip?  if so, you might try to solder a thin wire from each pin to the proper pads on the PCB.  if the break is flush with the body of the chip, however, this probably won't work.

It might still be salvagable for a more experienced solderer.  For me, I'd solder some bare buswire to the broken stubs (even if they're flush, this should work).  Plug the chip into a high-quality machined-contact socket, then solder the buswire pins to their respective holes.  Add a little epoxy to make sure it never comes out and you're good as new (sort of).