Questions about the optimized c64 PSU

ohmstudiste

in the design of the C64 optimized PSU there is a bridge rectifier b40c800. I can't find one around. There is one availbable in the C64, it's a Ba20, is it ok to use it ? or can I use a B40C3700 instead ? Or use the b40c800 that is on the core (i'm building a dual SID) ? is this one still needed in the case of the use of the optimized C64 PSU ?

another one: can the 7809 used in the PSU be replaced by a 7812, I have one on the C64 ?

salut ,

le b40c800 n'est pas un régulator ,c'est un "bridge rectifier " ,ou si tu préfère un "pont de diode ,qui n'est vraiment nécessaire que si tu Alimentes ton module en AC ,tu peux le récupérer et le remplacer sur le core par un pont de diodes(4 diodes " 1N4001" ,c'est sur la page d'Ucapps sur le CORE) si t'alimentes ton core en AC (courant alternatif) ,ou par rien du tout si c'est en DC ,mais c'est pas prudent de supprimer tout car ça te protège en cas d'inversion malencontreuse des pôles de ton alim...(et la polarité compte en Courant Continu (DC)

Yeah,

It's a bridge rectifier... (basicly 4 power diodes connected to form a fullwave rectifier) You can use Ba20 if you like or the B40C3700 (it's just more bulky and oversized).

I don't recommend replacing 7809 with a 7812.. the regulators in the SID boards could warm up more than needed  ;)..

Bye, Moebius

Hi Adam,

hi, i can't find the b40c800 either... so i'm looking for alternatives for my dual sid, i notice on smash's cores he supplies a BR1 which is 1.5A 800v

is that about the rating i need for the sid or would another rating be better?

the rectifiers are just 4 diodes in a single case. Their only relevant data is voltage and power rating. b40c800 means the part does take max 40V at 800 mA. As the highest voltage ocurring in a Midibox is 14 V, the b40c800 would probably even take more than 800 mA. It is possibly the lowest-rated rectifier you can buy. Any higher rated rectifier is not necessary but will work. (BTW, I think the BR1 is rated 80V - for 800V it would have to be a quite large part).

Seppoman