Sid gives nothing but noise

janlugt

I have made a Core-module and a Sid-module, and I have already tested the Core-module and the 40x2 LCD-display (with the MidiMon-program). The problem is: when I connect my Sid-module and try to play some notes, the only thing I hear is noise (which can be heard in the linked MP3). All the voltages are ok, I use firmware version 1.7, the standard program for a 6581 without control surface is loaded and I've made a crossing in the Core/Sid-interconnection cable. Do you have any clue?

http://upload.janlugt.com/write/sid.mp3

hi,

so it does react to midi note on/off (it plays the sound when you press a key)?

if so; my guess would be; a dead/broken SID :P, i've had two so far so this is very possible! however it's good to (double)check everything (voltages connections etc.). The lcd works ok?

if all the voltages on the sid/core boards are ok, you can check another SID, this cured all my problems.

good luck, marcel

I've tried two SID's, and they both give the same noise. I can hear that it reacts to note on/off, because it gives some kind of click. I'll check the voltages, but i'm very positive they are all all right. The LCD works ok, but it flickers a little (only when the SID-module is connected). Could that have something to do with it?

Thank you,

Jan

PS: Marcel, waar in Nederland woon je? Misschien kan ik bij jou een keer met een SID testen waarvan jij zeker weet dat hij het doet, zodat ik dat als probleem af kan schrijven van mijn lijstje. We hebben het voor elkaar gekregen dit te doen voor een project op school (Schravenlant, Schiedam, hier doe ik VWO), maar het wil nog niet helemaal vlotten en het moet binnenkort af zijn. De Core hebben we met veel bloed, zweet en tranen wel werkend gekregen, maar de Sid-module gaat gewoon nog niet.