Latest Incarnation of MidiBox CV

Tanstaafl

gbeth, Id be interested to hear how the midiboxCV handles notes and cc's with regards to smoothness and accuracy of pitch.  Did you build the full version with all the gate and cv outs?  Did you spend the 25$ or so on each of the DAC's?

Oh yeah, great job on your DIY synth!! looks like you have a bunch more space in that cabinet for modules !!!!!  of course check out this site for module pcb's    http://www.ele4music.com/    and    http://www.cgs.synth.net/      I    have been looking at building one of these for my modular synth, since it gives you alot more than a typical midi-cv converter, and hey thats what modular synths are about anyway, right ! ? wild patches! 

what are you using as a MIDI input?

cheers

~Steve

Steve,

Yes, it is the full version, a bit modified.  In one configuration I use the J5_Dout code to get multiple gates, in the other configuration I use J5 to drive a modified PAIA D/A converter so I can use all my old V/Hz gear at the same time as newer V/Oct gear.

As to how MB-CV handles itself,  It works at least as well as, if not better than my Midi2CV8 from PAIA.  In fact because of the DACs TK used, it is even more accurate.

I did not spend the money on the DAC's, I got samples (2) each of the DAC's and VRegs, from the manufacturer.  (not looking forward to paying full price for the  DAC's I will need on my next MB-CV project  :-\  )  however, I believe TK is working on an R2R ladder style DAC using cheap discrete components, and I think it will hook into standard Dout pins as interface..

I use various inputs as MIDI.  For music recording / sequencing, I use Logic Pro.  Also for performance, standard cheap midi keys... (midiman keystation49,  kaysound MK-4902). I also have an old (80's vintage) homemade ttl/cmos 32 step seq.  I am seriously considering as my next midibox project..... MB-SEQ.

p.s.

I have looked into the ele4music stuff.  It was interesting, I have not made up my mind about it tho.  They are located in Houston, as am I !  but I have yet to find thier physical address, I would like to pay them a visit and see what makes 'em tick!!

gb

Gb thanks for the info.. I have been thinking about MIDI/cv for a while now since I am almost done with my sequencer and my modular is about half done (will it ever really be done?)  I really like the flexibility of the MidiBoxCV..

as for EFM in Houston, you may find that its no more than a guy with a computer, some spare time, a patient wife, and stacks of PCB's on a shelf!  I cant imagine it being much more than that anyway...

have fun

~Steve

Steve,

as for EFM in Houston, you may find that its no more than a guy with a computer, some spare time, a patient wife, and stacks of PCB's on a shelf! I cant imagine it being much more than that anyway...

yeah, sounds like my house!  :)

BTW, for this latest analog synth I am using/modifying the circuits of :

http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/old_synthesizer.html

they are all rock solid performers,  the parts are inexpensive AND he gives you gif's of the PCBs!

very impressed with Mr. Wilson's work.

gb

Hi I notice you have only two gates implemented, where as TK's notes and spec says ten are possible , how are the extra ones realised, is this something to do with the pins that are bridged on the board? Also how are the four buttons integrated with the LCD display, ie. where do they connect on the core board?

Questions over, Iv'e built a few modules from various diy modular synth sites EFM being one of them, Tom Gamble's boards are very good , I built his diode ladder filter and it seriously rocks in in a four pole 24db/octave squelchy kind of way...

Jorge...... 

It is a modification to the MidiBoxCV application.. really simple tho... just uncomment the J5_dout lines.. or something as close.

In my case.. I have 2 options...

1. J5 (usually where the AIN/pots hook in) drives the extra 8 gate outputs  as per TK's spec. I just have not added the plugs to the faceplate yet.

2. J5 drives my modified V/Hz (ala PAIA FATMAN) D/A converter, to drive all my old V/Hz gear.

The buttons are simply hooked into a 1 chip DIN (j8 or J9 I think) stuck on the same board as the CORE (i make my own boards)

BTW, I have just this morning added another of Ray Wilsons retriggerable (with leds!) envelope generators... now I just need to make about 4 more VCO's a couple more VCF's and then maybe a midibox SEQ on the top panel to drive it (when not keyboarding it, that is)

;D

gb

• 1 month later...
J5 drives my modified V/Hz (ala PAIA FATMAN) D/A converter, to drive all my old V/Hz gear.

Hi,

could you give me more explanation about this mod, i'm building a drum generator in wich i've added a v/Hz vco to add a kind of "body" to my drums. for the while ,even if i can adjust the pitch of this vco ,i can't use MIDI note event to do this..

thanks