MIOS 1.8 hex file

Jidis

I've only been able to spend a little time each night on my 64, and last night I finally got all the mods done for the "Greg to MBHP" conversion.

One quick question- The MIOS 1.8 hex download by itself will contain the loader and everything for a functioning MB64, right?

( -I know the default configuration won't be exactly what I've got)

After fighting with a badly blown 18f for a week, I put that hex in one and got the copyright/TKlose screen on the 2x40 and it sits at "Ready". I'm not, however, getting any MIDI i/o and was wondering about the defaults in that hex, before I go into a lot of PCB troubleshooting.

My shift registers and 4051's are still hanging unconnected (unterminated), but I figured I'd still get the initial output message or see a response when I throw it something from Serge's loader. I think I did ALL the mods, including the luminance circuit and the 100 ohm inline with pin 1 (I see why you skipped that Steve >:( ) I've also tried flipping the two DIN pins on the MIDI ports and swapping optocouplers. All the connections and voltages in the MIDI area seem OK. The PIC was blown with ICProg 105 on a Willem 3.1 programmer at whatever config defaults loaded with the hex. I've also tried the "LED on the output" test and got no response. I'm taking the html's and pictures from all the MIDI troubleshooting and MIOS guides with me tonight, unless I hear that the 1.8 hex alone isn't enough.

- Thanks!

George

Hi George,

MIOS standalone is ok, but once you got the MIDI interface running, it would be better to burn the bootstrap loader into the PIC and to upload MIOS through MIDI. Because this allows you to update MIOS in future without PIC burner.

However, MIOS itself provides a seperate BSL, so you should be able to upload an application via MIDI (hope that the troubleshooting guide helps...)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

it would be better to burn the bootstrap loader into the PIC and to upload MIOS through MIDI

Yeah, that was my first approach with the PIC that I thought was a bad burn. It booted to a top row of black squares, but I couldn't dump anything via MIDI. Now that I've seen the circuit fail to respond with a MIOS chip, and from what you said, I'm guessing it was probably OK and I need to go back and double check all my MIDI lines (between the Greg board and the MBHP).  :-\

Strange thing, I didn't seem to get "in" or "output", and I was using the same connections my controller usually takes, so I know the computer to box path was good.

-Thanks!