MIDIbox SEQ feasibility

ma3a.au

hey everybody. i have experience with soldering things etc (though never making anything more complex than a theremin..), and i've done assembly programming before, but i must confess that i don't really know much about electronics hardware (though i understand the basics, such as resistors, capacitors, transistors, parallel/serial, etc.).

what i'm wondering is, do you think i could build a MIDIbox SEQ, or do you think i'd have little or no chance, and would be better buying something like a Future Retro Mobius step-sequencer? i spose what i want to ask is: how detailed/idiot-proof are the instructions? how much do they lead you through the whole process, and how much do they assume you already know? i've taken a look through the SEQ's pages, though i can't really know if it's too hard for me until i start.

thanks everybody,

-duncan

Welcome Duncan,

If you have soldering skills, there should be no problem. There are no SMD parts in the MbSEQ project!

You can order PCBs from SmashTV (http://avi.dezines.com/mbhp/buy.html). His PCBs have a silkscreen print so it's really hard to do some bad solderings...

Instructions on the ucapps site are really good. Just solder one module after the other. All modules are explained in detail on Thorstens site.

And if you have any questions after reading the instructions... Hey, the midibox.org Forum is your friend.

Raphael

thanks for the reply, raphael :). just two more questions, directed at everybody: how much (roughly, not including having a front panel made) would the SEQ cost to build (just the parts - not my time ;)), and are there any  benefits over, for example, the future retro mobius sequencer? i have noticed that the mobius has no knobs, but knobs don't always make something better/easier to use ::). if there are benefits, how significant are they?

thanks again, everybody :)

-duncan

PS - kudos, mr klose!

thanks for the reply, raphael . just two more questions, directed at everybody: how much (roughly, not including having a front panel made) would the SEQ cost to build (just the parts - not my time ), ...

Just have a look at the SEQ site and add all the costs given there by Thorsten for every module.

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq.html

Sorry, I've no knowledge about moebius' SEQ...

Most expensive is the panel. So I did mine by hand... just finisched it today.

The other expensive things are the LCD displays. On Thorstens page he writes 49 Euro (2x40 two times). I got my two displays for only 20 Euro in a surplus store. So just look around and you will find cheaper stuff..

Raphael

I had to wait the package...

And it's mentionned on the Voti's site that his shop is closed down from july 16 up to august 15. As I've put my order the 16 and didn't receive any acknowledge of my order, I don't expect it until the end of august...

However the spec sounds good : ST7066 controler, viewing angle at +-40°, backlight with positive voltage at 4.2 Volt.

ludo

How is the quality of the LCDs from Voti?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Skygge posted in this thread:

http://69.56.171.55/~midibox/forum/index.php?topic=4941.0

today the 40*2 LCDs arrived. They look perfect, no dust, no scratches or anything else to moan about. Unfortunatly i'm still in the planning stage and have nothing to actually test the displays so i can not speak about the quality right now. I tell you when i'm done (this month i hope).

thanks again, everybody :)! i found out the differences between the mobius sequencer and the SEQ, so i thought i'd post them here in case someone's searching for it on this forum one day (as i did before i asked):

* the mobius is only one-track, and afaik it's still only one-track even if it's only sequencing a rhythm part. the SEQ, on the other hand, is 16-track, and if some of the tracks you're sequencing are just rhythm instruments (drums, etc), then you get more than 16 tracks; up to 48 tracks. big advantage!

* the mobius has a "glide" function to allow it to slide between notes like the TB-303 does (though only when using CV-outs, i think: not using MIDI). afaik, the SEQ can't do this (though if you set the gate time of each note to max, and are sequencing a sound that has portamento, it might work. i'm not sure it will, though, and it's probably not as good as the real thing)

* the mobius also has an "accent" function, once again like the TB-303. on the SEQ, though, you can individually program the velocity of each note in a sequence, so if you program the sounds on your synth right  (to respond to higher/lower velocities), you could probably do a very good emulation with the SEQ. i don't think the mobius can program individual velocities like the SEQ can.

* the mobius doesn't seem to have as nice a user-interface as the SEQ: the SEQ has two great big LCD screens, while the mobius has a single 4-ish digit LED screen. similarly, the SEQ has lots of encoders and lots of buttons, while the mobius only has a lot of buttons. encoders are nice :)

* the mobius seems to be better for sequencing and interfacing with analog gear, as it incorporates a CV-out, and can be used as a CV-midi converter or vice-versa.

i think that's just about it :)! other than that, they seem to do fairly similar things. if anyone has anything to add or correct, feel free to do so!

-duncan

sorry :-[...i keep thinking up new questions as i read more about doing this.

* should i buy just the PCBs from smash-tv, or the actual kits? i think if i bought them as kits i wouldn't have to program the PICs. is that correct? i've found the page on where-to-buy for australian midiboxers, though i'm not altogether confident about sourcing all the parts myself (i'll be fine with all the front-panel controls, though) - buying in my native country would certainly be cheaper, wouldn't it?

* making the front-panel is the only thing i'm worried about: should i use that hole-board stuff (as most people do), or just mount things on to the front panel? what are the advantages/disadvantages of each? using the hole-board stuff (sorry..what's its real name? :$) looks much nicer, because the buttons and knobs are set back, but it would require me coordinating where i put things on the hole-board stuff and where i cut holes in my front-panel: i'm not good at that (or does anyone have any tips at doing that? i'm good at maths and measuring things, but awful at visual/artistic stuff).

* on many of the finished SEQs i've seen, the button-layout is different - are the buttons they have the same, or different? sorry i have to ask this; i'm mildly dyslexic and am bad at matching things like that up.

* a final, more light-hearted question: is this project easier than the MIDIbox SID? it seems to be, though - if my SEQ's successful - i'd like to build one, as it was my interest in C64- and SID-music that originally drew me to your site (i think i found it by accident, or was linked to it from another forum, at www.lemon64.com - i remember someone there was very unhappy about that picture of all the C64s cannibalised just for their SID chips!)

anyway, thanks again, everybody (especially raphael :))

-duncan

should i buy just the PCBs from smash-tv, or the actual kits? i think if i bought them as kits i wouldn't have to program the PICs. is that correct? i've found the page on where-to-buy for australian midiboxers, though i'm not altogether confident about sourcing all the parts myself (i'll be fine with all the front-panel controls, though) - buying in my native country would certainly be cheaper, wouldn't it?

Depends:

I have already a lot of electronics stuff at home (e.g. some thousends of resistor in nearly every value and so on..), so I only buy the PCBs.

If you have nothing at home I would buy the kits. I don't think buying all the stuff seperately will be cheaper unless you buy big amounts of each part (e.g. 100 resistors of the same value).

But you don't have to buy the kit to get a PIC with already burnt bootloader. SmashTV sells also single PICs with bootloader.

making the front-panel is the only thing i'm worried about: should i use that hole-board stuff (as most people do), or just mount things on to the front panel? what are the advantages/disadvantages of each? using the hole-board stuff (sorry..what's its real name? :$) looks much nicer, because the buttons and knobs are set back, but it would require me coordinating where i put things on the hole-board stuff and where i cut holes in my front-panel: i'm not good at that (or does anyone have any tips at doing that? i'm good at maths and measuring things, but awful at visual/artistic stuff).

Depends on the parts you use. Some switches cannot be mounted on the panel but have to be soldered on a breadboard (the hole-board ;D)

If you use breadboards you should verify your desing twice. For tips just look around in the forum and on other DIY sites.

on many of the finished SEQs i've seen, the button-layout is different - are the buttons they have the same, or different? sorry i have to ask this; i'm mildly dyslexic and am bad at matching things like that up.

You mean the buttons or the button functions? The functions are allways the same (unless you add sone extra functions to the firmware).

a final, more light-hearted question: is this project easier than the MIDIbox SID? it seems to be, though - if my SEQ's successful - i'd like to build one, as it was my interest in C64- and SID-music that originally drew me to your site (i think i found it by accident, or was linked to it from another forum, at www.lemon64.com - i remember someone there was very unhappy about that picture of all the C64s cannibalised just for their SID chips!)

I think the SEQ is easier, if you compare it to a SID with CS. Not so many PCBs. For a full stuffed MBSid you have 4xCORE, 4XSID, 3xDIN and 2xDOUT. A lot of boards to solder...

On the other hand: With the MBSid you can start only with one CORE and one SID and the enhance it to the big version with control surface.

Raphael

thanks for another response, raphael :). when i asked if the buttons were the same or different on various units that midiboxers have made, i mean the buttons themselves. not their style (be they round or square, normally-open or normally-closed); rather i mean the things they do. judging from what you've said about "button-functions", i'm guessing yes, but i'd like to make sure: does every SEQ have the same number of buttons, and do these buttons do the same thing from unit to unit? this is on the full control-surface, that is.

thanks for all your help, raphael. i think i'm pretty much all set - now i just need some time ;D

-duncan