MIDIBOX Atari POKEY?

timofonic

on what is perhaps a side-note, did the pokey do multi-pulse square waves? (like, being able to program the sequence of the square wave, eg 10010110 would become a wave that, on an oscilloscope, would look like -__-_--_ (0 is "down", 1 is "up)) if it didn't, what *did*? somebody fairly intelligent wrote that it was multi-pulse square waves that made early sound chips sound the way they do, but i haven't seen any that seem to do it yet ::)...

on what is perhaps a side-note, did the pokey do multi-pulse square waves? (like, being able to program the sequence of the square wave, eg 10010110 would become a wave that, on an oscilloscope, would look like -__-_--_ (0 is "down", 1 is "up)) if it didn't, what *did*? somebody fairly intelligent wrote that it was multi-pulse square waves that made early sound chips sound the way they do, but i haven't seen any that seem to do it yet ::)...

pc speaker

• 10 months later...

timo I don't mean to be rude but you really have to start searching the forum before you post!

You're coming up with lots of good ideas and questions which have been done in the past. If you search, you'll find a link to wikipedia's page on sound chips, it has all the info on all the chips of interest ... I know it's there, cause I posted it :)

Searching for Pokey returns lots of results if you do it right ;)

There's a feature on this forum where running a search will ONLY search BELOW the current forum area. For example, because this post is in the "Design Concepts" forum, if you use the search box in the top right of the screen, it will ONLY search under Design Concepts.

However if you click the 'Search' link first, it will take you to the global search page, and search the entire forum.

Have a look at all the hits now :)

Also another tip, just as with any other search engine, you need to try a few differnt keywords, like 'atari chip' 'pokey' etc...

Hey while we're on the subject, this looks very interesting.... http://www.fpgaarcade.com/

Ok. Sorry, I got confused.

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=3414.0

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=5431.0

Not too much posts but they are OK. Sadly, nobody showed scematics of an early experiment with the POKEY chip  :-\

About FPGAarcade... it's possible a 100% POKEY emulation using FPGA?  ???

I could donate two Atari POKEY (C012294B-01) chips (as minimun) for the cause to some electronic guy that wants to experimenting on the MIDIBOX POKEY  :D

• 2 months later...

I had originally put the POKEY chip on my "Project List" a few years ago.  Unfortunately, since then it's been demoted by several other projects.  Even more unfortunately, this past year has been incredibly hectic and has included:

- change of job

- death in the family

- bought a house

- moved into the house

- renovated the house

- another death in the family

It's incredibly unlikely that I will get to this within the next few years.  Someone else with more free time on their hands may be able to work on the POKEY, however.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...