SID no sound?

mesak

hello,

i had a long day trying to get the MIOS uploaded to midibox SID.

PIC was pre-burned in joergs midishop and i got the upload request ok when powering up the sid.

i was using Steinberg Midex 3 and Midi-OX under Windows 2000. but i didn't get the MIOS running since the SID kept sending the request every 2 seconds, so i was thinking there must be somenthing wrong in the connections. so i made all the troubleshooting for midi in connections and octocoupler with no luck. then i found out that there was something wrong with midex/midi-ox - no midi activity led flashing in midex and midi-ox was chrashing. i made the midi-ox's send/receive test which failed, i still don't know what was wrong.

but luckily i also had a MAC nearby so i finally tried to make the upload with that. no problems. midex worked fine and MIOS seemed to go ok to PIC since it stopped sending the request sysex.

but then i wasn't able to get any sound out from SID. i was using Jsynthlib but didn't get any signal from the SID... then i had to call it a day. will do more testing tomorrow... i wonder if there's something wrong with the MIOS after all? i hope i didn't mess it up completely.

is there a initial patch in SID? if i just can't get Jsynthlib to work, should i get a sound out from SID with just a basic midi keyboard?

well, just wanted to write some lines of these experiments. i really wonder why midex didn't work out with windows. i'm using midex8 and winXP a lot for basic sysex dumping for elektron's instruments and it's going ok...

cheers!

In addition to MIOS you will need the MBSID application itself:

http://www.ucapps.de/mios/midibox_sid_v1_7a.zip

Have you ever tried MIOSStudo for upload. Works like a charm (you will need Java 1.5 for this).

http://www.avishowtech.com/midibox/wiki/index.php/miosstudio

And yes, there is a startup sound when you switch on the box.