idea/question for graphical lcd

kokoon

hello.

first, let me express my excitement over this project, i just received my mbSID kits i ordered from Joerg's midishop. i'll start assembling this week, i just need to buy some more parts/accesories/tools/meters whatnot.

but what i meant to ask was a general midibox question: did anyone ever thought about graphical/physical interface similar to those in Elektron machines? for example the monomachine (see picture - http://www.monomachine.com/ )

basically there is a horizontally oriented graphical display with representations of the 8 (4x2) knobs which are positioned to the right of the display. with changing pages the drawn knobs on the lcd change descriptions accordingly and the knobs are encoders so the absolute position of every control is presented only graphically on the lcd.

take a look at the elektron showrooms.

from what i read i understand that graphical lcds are very operation-expensive and that the dedicated core would be needed for such thing. but other than that - are there any more obstacles/difficulties? how hard would it be to put together a developer's hardware (the configuration described above - 1 lcd and 8 encoders (and maybe a few buttons for navigating the menus) to start experimenting/programming?

anyone else interested in this? anyone else maybe already working on anything similar?